• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Petition to help The Complete Combatant Firing Range in Lumpkin County stay open for live fire

If they shoot home-grown tomatoes, cucumbers, and pumpkins,

would THAT keep it in compliance with agricultural zoning?

To borrow a line from a recent movie
"if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!" and I would add
"if you can shoot a pumpkin, you can shoot a thug center of mass."

FCF453AA-338A-4231-8FD6-06BA9AEB46F8.jpeg

This looks agricultural to me.
896A150C-FD1E-4922-B59A-90236CCAE820.jpeg

My suggestion was they plant a row or two of corn (or tomatos or...) and offer classes on how to protect your crops from varmints (both two legged and four legged.)

After talking to a friend who’s pretty knowledgeable with how county governments work, and looking back over the petition, I think the owners of TCC made an error.
They are trying to run a commercial range on private property that is zoned as agricultural. Unless they have either already met or are willing to meet the requirements for the change of zoning they are probably not going to be successful. Even if they meet the requirements they will be fighting an uphill battle as complaints have been made to the county.
If they have a business license then the point is mute. Also if they are a firearms business with an FFL state law excepmts them from zoning regulations. They have to deal with the noise issue.

If they have a business license then the point is mute. Also if they are a firearms business with an FFL state law excepmts them from zoning regulations. They have to deal with the noise issue.
No. It’s not moot. When I had my business license I was prohibited from running certain types of businesses at my property.
Can you point me to the state law that exempts them from zoning regulations? I’d really like to read up on that one.

No. It’s not moot. When I had my business license I was prohibited from running certain types of businesses at my property.
Can you point me to the state law that exempts them from zoning regulations? I’d really like to read up on that one.
The law is below. It is very clear. Only the state can regulate a firearms business. I can open a retail store in my house and the HOA, City and County can not do a thing about it. The City MUST issue me a business license. I have helped more then one ODT memeber get their business licence for an 07 after the local movement refused them a business license.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-173 (2009) § 16-11-173. Legislative findings; preemption of local regulation and lawsuits; exceptions (a)(1) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general, state-wide concern. (2) The General Assembly further declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture, and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public is not unreasonably dangerous activity and does not constitute a nuisance per se. (b)(1) No county or municipal corporation, by zoning or by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows; the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, or registration of firearms or components of firearms; firearms dealers; or dealers in firearms components.

The law is below. It is very clear. Only the state can regulate a firearms business. I can open a retail store in my house and the HOA, City and County can not do a thing about it. The City MUST issue me a business license. I have helped more then one ODT memeber get their business licence for an 07 after the local movement refused them a business license.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-173 (2009) § 16-11-173. Legislative findings; preemption of local regulation and lawsuits; exceptions (a)(1) It is declared by the General Assembly that the regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general, state-wide concern. (2) The General Assembly further declares that the lawful design, marketing, manufacture, and sale of firearms and ammunition to the public is not unreasonably dangerous activity and does not constitute a nuisance per se. (b)(1) No county or municipal corporation, by zoning or by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows; the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, or registration of firearms or components of firearms; firearms dealers; or dealers in firearms components.
Where does that say that a range is exempt from zoning ordinances? Because I’m really not seeing how that proves your point.

As I said:

• If they have a business license then the point is mute. Also if they are a firearms business with an FFL state law exempts them from zoning regulations. They have to deal with the noise issue.

If he has an FFL then the zoning does not matter. However they still have to deal with the noise issues.

As I said:

• If they have a business license then the point is mute. Also if they are a firearms business with an FFL state law exempts them from zoning regulations. They have to deal with the noise issue.

If he has an FFL then the zoning does not matter. However they still have to deal with the noise issues.
The business license doesn’t exempt from zoning.
An FFL doesn’t exempt the range from zoning. I understand what you said. The section of law you quoted does not back up what you’re saying.

let try it this way:

The FFL exempts them from zoning.

BUT they still need to deal with the noise issues of the range.

Back
Top Bottom