• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pic's from cookout at Ians.

Biker, the two times I saw him load the flintlock he did indeed pour the charge into some thing and then poured it down the barrel. He did put powder in the pan directly from the flask, though. :noidea:

The first time I watched the video, I thought the same thing as Biker did. I just went back and looked more closely. Upon closer inspection it appears that he held a separate powder measure alongside the barrel in his left hand. After putting the flask in his pouch, he used his right hand to pour powder from the powder measure into his rifle barrel.

I am curious, though. Was he actually firing a bullet/ball or just putting a patch on top of the powder? I have never seen a ramrod just fall to the bottom of the barrel that easily.

The first time I watched the video, I thought the same thing as Biker did. I just went back and looked more closely. Upon closer inspection it appears that he held a separate powder measure alongside the barrel in his left hand. After putting the flask in his pouch, he used his right hand to pour powder from the powder measure into his rifle barrel.

I am curious, though. Was he actually firing a bullet/ball or just putting a patch on top of the powder? I have never seen a ramrod just fall to the bottom of the barrel that easily.

Thanks for your observations, Guys. As Napp noted, even after a fouling shot, the first ball (.760") drops down the smooth bore (.780") with just the weight of the steel ramrod but they get progessively tighter. I usually use paper cartridges with muskets but just built this and wanted to try different charges so I used an adjustable powder measure. 80 grains seems too light for this load; the pure lead ball only penetrated about 4-6" and didn't mushroom at all in the hard clay bank. I don't use a separate flask to prime and don't measure the priming charge but I do brush the frizzen and pan before priming.

Back
Top Bottom