Pig Hunting

Ken Ford

Default rank 5000+ posts
Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
175   0
Reaction score
I asked this question earlier but the thread went in the wrong direction.

I want to start hunting Feral Pigs.

What do I need to get set up, From gear to license.
I will be looking for farmers that want the pigs gone from their land. Where do get the pig processed?

I plan on using a Mosin Nagant as my primary rifle.

Other that that, what will I need to be ready.

Please no smart mouth answers

Ken,
I've always used my standard Deer Hunting equipment. Backup handgun, .357mag, .44mag or the .45acp, I never go to woods without one of them. License- Georgia Resident Hunting License, and a written Permit from the Property Owner. Processing we do our own, but check with your local Deer processors. O' also sour corn works well and then there's also the same ole scents and etc. available for sale.

Last edited:
I used to know a Guy up the road who used to trap wild hogs on his property then he would pen up the hog for a few months fatten it up on sweet feed before processing it. Improved the meat by far. Although my guess would be that it's not entirely legal to do it that way.

The processor has to have a permit that is more than normally needed to process deer. It's because of trichinosis. Many do have it. Just call around and check before you have a dead pig on your hands. Typical deer hunting gear works just fine, just make sure the bullet you are using is tough enough. No Nosler Ballistic Tips and such. Also, double gloves when field dressing to avoid trichinosis. Good luck and post pics of success.

Cooter... You are right. Unless he has a trappers permit to trap and posess the feral hogs he could get in some real trouble. KEN... Get you a 55 gallon plastic or metal drum. Fill it about half full of corn then fill to about 2/3 with water and put a lid on it. Make sure it is vented or you have just built a bomb. Let it sour for a while then when you get ready to hunt take 5 gallon buckets full of the stinky stuff and pour it out in your shooting lanes. Brings in the porkers everytime.

Good point BEAR. Get you some of the orange deer gutting gloves that go all the way up to your elbows and double them up then put on a pair of regular yellow kitchen rubber gloves. Alot of guys around here wont even touch a hog. More common in south GA processors.

Cooter... You are right. Unless he has a trappers permit to trap and posess the feral hogs he could get in some real trouble. KEN... Get you a 55 gallon plastic or metal drum. Fill it about half full of corn then fill to about 2/3 with water and put a lid on it. Make sure it is vented or you have just built a bomb. Let it sour for a while then when you get ready to hunt take 5 gallon buckets full of the stinky stuff and pour it out in your shooting lanes. Brings in the porkers everytime.
Don't forget grape koolaid mixed in it

Back
Top Bottom