• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pig Hunting

Where are you gonna be hunting? And where are you gonna want to drop them off at? I'm pretty sure that little shack in Winder processes hogs now. There is a guy in Carnesville that I take my deer to cause I hunt in Martin. He does cattle and hogs also; don't see why he couldn't do a wild hog. I think there are only 2 processors listed in the phone book up there and he's one of them. Think it's just called Custom Meat Processing. I switched to him last year and will be going to him from now on.

Last edited:
I got my first pig sitting in a deer stand over a food plot waiting for the little bastages to come tear it up before the deer could fatten up on it. I hunt them just like deer.

Some people stalk them, some use dogs, some sit in a stand like me. Still always want to carry a sidearm when hunting hogs. It was a nerve racking blood trailing one through thick gunch that a buddy shot this past deer season. Hoping to put a bolt in one from my crossbow soon.

I hunt hogs on foot. basically get you somewhere in the open where you can sneak around a corner and engage your target 75 meters away. I set up a feed site, dump about 50lbs of corn and put up a game camera. Get their frequency that they are coming through. Start spreading only about 5lbs out over a big area. Make them work for it. Keep this up for about a week and get them complacent and comfortable. If they feel safe they will stay there for 4-5 hrs sometimes munchin on corn. My hogs move 9pm to around 1am so I just go out quietly and stalk them. Once I am about 75 meters away I have a bend I use for cover. I then hit them with the light and they are toast. I have found this the easiest way, and I have taken 3 450lb+ boars. Oh and one thing dont even fool with a trap its a waste of time in my opinion. And your bait site, DO NOT spit, piss even drop a candy bar wrapper anywhere close. It will spook them. Good hunting

The best thing I can say about the meat is wash and scrub that ****er good before you ever cut him. Other than that dress like a deer. Keep any meat you can find for sausage.

Last edited:
Weapon... Your choice unless you are hunting a WMA. Then the weapon has to fit what is in season. Basic hunting license (WMA stamp maybe) unless you have the land to hunt on.
Wear gloves those suckers do carry Phseudo Rabies... Nasty for any dog in contact. If you want to gut it and want to roast a whole hog
I have a Cuban box that does a fine job... Good luck with the farmer thing... they usually have their hand out for some cash as a tresspass fee...

You see what I use in my avatar to take 450lb boars right? an AR yep, I use nato green tip ball ammo right through the front shoulder plate. Destroys the heart and you get about 6 exit wounds, They rarely make it three feet. This also prevents other hogs from eating your ass alive if its night and visibility is limited to a light at night. You got 30 rds in one mag. I normaly do not have to put but one shot in one. Just my 2cents worth

I stalk them on foot and try to beat out a large patch of cover. The tricky thing about hogs is they keep moving so the fresher sign you can find the more likely you are to be in business. I use a 12g. with 3" magnum slugs or an SKS with wolf soft points. I hunt public land or Ft. Stewart or Hunter Army Air Field land so baiting is illegal out there. Dress gear I wear a shoulder length rubber glove and yellow rubber maid kitchen gloves over the rubber gloves. With the current tempature you have an hour tops to gut them and get them draining on ice before the meat becomes questionable. With hogs, a processor must have a read blood tag that allows them to process wild hogs. THis is different from domestic stock because of the diseases carried by wild hogs. The smaller the hogs the better the taste.

GL with the hunt Ken.

Back
Top Bottom