• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pig Hunting

So the farmer pays a pro the pro sells slots kills a few more pigs and its a revolving door. Pigs are smart if the farmer allowed regular access to the land high hunt pressure the pigs would either be dead or someone else's problem. Hunting pressure is key.

Boom goes the dynamite with a successful argument. And Shovel, I wondered why it was so hot, thanks for clearing up the geographic issue for me buddy.
I watched hog swat promo video's and there is no way killing 5-6 from a heard in one night will stop them from being there the next night or next week but if you are pushing them constantly they disperse faster. This is where the ethical hunter or the walk in hunting program comes in for nuisance species plus the farmer will make more money than they will getting paid by hog swat or what ever other removal service is out there.

Hey shovel, lets print up some cards for our own service and undersell the other guys.

Oki cant take it .I farm and mainly only socialize with people in agriculture and nobody i know pays those yaa hoos that call thereselves pros to kill hogs.And for the most part theres not many that rent there hunting rights out for money.For 1 there are few farmers that own the land they work and 2 they dont want every tom dick and harry on there land .Yes hogs are complained about but if any of you that complain about farmers complaining about us not letting you hunt .Think if your backyard was full of ducks would you let random people off the streets have full access because they want to go shoot up some stuff i hardly dout it.

Corn seems to be the best bait for them. although ive used pinto beans , great northern beans lima beans, just whatever i had laying around. if you are just hunting hogs and not worrying about anything else. Take your corn and put it in a 5 gal bucket with a lid. pour a cup of diesel fuel over it and let it set for a few days. I read about this 1 time, and i thought people had been huffing much diesel and were full of S%*^. as good as a pig smells , i figure there wouldn't be a pig within 10 miles of where i hunt if i was to do that....... i was wrong. They loved it right from the start. plus it keeps the squirrels and bears out of it. and with corn going from $11 to $14 a bag now , can't be feeding everything or by the time you finally kill one you got $50 a pound in him. another good trick if you are hunting them along with everything else is Get you a spray bottle , fill it bout 2/3 the way full with cheap cooking oil. canola oil , peanut oil etc. an the rest of the way full with imitation vanilla or vanilla extract. and every time you pour out your bait , shake the bottle up real good and spray that all over it, ( the oil holds the scent alot longer than water) it takes no time at all for every animal in the woods to associate the smell of vanilla with food. plus then you can use the vanilla as a cheap cover scent to. WARNING BEARS LOOOOOVVVVEEEEE ITTTTTT so if you are hunting a place baiting is not allowed.... when you go in their to hunt, just make sure your bait is eat up and spray vanilla all over the bushes and ground where you been baiting.... they will come... shhhhh don't tell anyone that secret lol. another thing to remember with a pig and i am not a no it all but i am being very serious ..... a pigs vitals sit farther forward than a deer, where you are shooting behind the shoulder on a deer, you are doing nothing but hitting liver on a hog. so make an angleing away shot or double shoulder him... hard for something to run with his front legs blowed out... and here is a serious note: Hogs have so much fat , thick muscle and skin on them that they do not BLEED very much if it runs. Yes you will run into 1 that will bleed but alot of them don't bleed very much at all.. They are just like bear. So blood trailing can be a EXTREME pain in the A$$. a spec here , a spec there. example . Last year in TX i shot a big boar that was pushing the 300 lb mark. Hit him just a fuzz back.... shot was at 20 yrds. he stepped as i squeezed the trigger. where he was standing, i found a piece of liver hanging in the bush as big as a silver dollar and pieces of pink foamy lung splatterd on the ground. where he stood there was a spot of blood as big as your fist. We tracked him over 100 yards finding tiny specs of blood as big as a bbb shot and smaller . and they were 20 yrds apart! we tracked him another 100 yrds and blood completely dried up. those pigs up to 150 lbs or so are not a whole lot tougher than a deer in my opinion. but those big boys are in a league of their own. i shot him with a 45 70 . my point with that is , go with as big a diameter caliber as you can , not so much for the knockdown power but for putting a big hole through them incase they do run. the bigger the hole , the less chance of clotting and the more blood in my opinion. I have seen that scenerio happen probably a dozen times and some were Great shots. one more thing to remember . Hogs dart alot. seems like they are always trotting/running every where they go. always seem to be in a hurry. i have seen a few that just mosey on in , but most of the time , they run in grab a bite , run to another spot , grab a bite and move out. so you may have to be fairly quick on taking a shot. Best of luck pig hunting

Oki cant take it .I farm and mainly only socialize with people in agriculture and nobody i know pays those yaa hoos that call thereselves pros to kill hogs.And for the most part theres not many that rent there hunting rights out for money.For 1 there are few farmers that own the land they work and 2 they dont want every tom dick and harry on there land .Yes hogs are complained about but if any of you that complain about farmers complaining about us not letting you hunt .Think if your backyard was full of ducks would you let random people off the streets have full access because they want to go shoot up some stuff i hardly dout it.

I think there are ways around letting total strangers hunt your property. I have volunteered time with farmers to hunt their land in Kansas for pheasant and quail, in Illinois my pops and I volunteered help for access to farmers land. Most people I have encountered here will not let a person volunteer to help them to get to know a hunter. We are not all trash but its the men that are trash that have ruined your and most of the people you socialize with opinions of the walk in hunter. This will always be a loosing battle between hunter and farmers to get access to land hunters would like to hunt to help rid farmers of a nuisance species.

I did notice however nothing was said about establishing a walk in manner of hunting as a good idea for helping the farmer with costs and the pig problem.

I asked this question earlier but the thread went in the wrong direction.

I want to start hunting Feral Pigs.

What do I need to get set up, From gear to license.
I will be looking for farmers that want the pigs gone from their land. Where do get the pig processed?

I plan on using a Mosin Nagant as my primary rifle.

Other that that, what will I need to be ready.

Please no smart mouth answers

I have taken over 40 Hogs in the last 3 years.

1) I stalk them. Learn how to track. You need to know where they Bed down and where they feed. Knowing their routs makes a differance in tracking them.
2) I hunt them with a 5.56 14.5 in DD Carbine and I have a 1911 45 ACP on my side just in case I need it.
3) If your looking to bait them rotin food. If you put it out and you have none around it may take them a little while to find it.
Definately a lisence. Look at the GA regs as well and famaliarize yourself with them.
V/R
Chris

Realy theres nothing else needed.

I am curious about the processing as well. Are there any special steps to take to make sure the meat is good?

I process my own as well. The major thing is when you first start out, get a butchers chart. It will help you with the cuts. You also need to ensure you get ALL the hair off! My last 2 kills are on my profile pic.
V/R Chris
Happy Hunting

Last edited:
I process my own as well. The major thing is when you first start out, get a butchers chart. It will help you with the cuts. You also need to ensure you get ALL the hair off! My last 2 kills are on my profile pic.
V/R Chris
Happy Hunting

Your profile pic is blank...

Hi. I saw your post and thought I'd offer what little advice I can. As for license requirements, you will need a GA state hunting license with big game allowences. And then here comes the hard part. Getting permission from private land oweners. This sounds easy, because you think that you're doing them a favor. But private land owners are hard to convince to allow strangers to hunt on their land. You can tell them till you're blue in the face how much you will respect their property, not hunt deer, blah blah, blah. I've been fighting that battle for three years now. And if you're from the North, you can just forget it. I've had land oweners forbid me from hunting on their land simply because I'm a "Damn Yankee".
But if you are able to convince a land owner to allow you to hunt then you have to find them. And that's not as easy as it sounds. Especially without dogs. During the summer months feral hogs will be close to consistant water sources. For drinking and cooling purposes. And mostly will be found during these times at night. In GA you can hunt feral hogs at night. But you may only use a head or weapon mounted light source. Meaning no vehicular powered spot lights. But the land owner will tell you where the hogs have been damageing his land. So it may just be a sit and wait kind of thing. If you have no light source the best times will be just before sunset and shortly after sunrise before it gets too hot. During the summer months, if you're sweating at a daylight hour you can pretty much forget about seeing hogs.
I've had more success from fall to early spring when it's cooler. During the winter months hogs will activly feed and travel as late as 9-10 am. A friend of mine spooked one out of a creekbed it was sleeping in at around 11 am. You just never know. But during the afternoon hours you can also be successful. After daylight savings time you can find active hogs as early as 3 pm.
I hunt hogs on the training grounds of Ft Stewart and have had several successful hunts there. There's no dog hunting allowed. So it's strictly Man vs. Beast. And I personally feel thats how it should be when it comes to big game. I love the challange of finding, persuing, and harvesting a wild hog. Most of the time I use a scope mounted .30-30 for hogs. A well placed shot behind the ears ensures the those delicious ribs are not damaged. A Mosin Nagant will be more then capeable of putting a hog down. The only thing about them is the dificulty of the safety on the rifle. Thats he main reason I got rid of mine. I found it too difficult to hunt with. I did not like the manipulation of the safety.
If I were you, I'd try to find a .243,.270, or .30-30. All of those rifles can be found on this sight or at your local pawn shop, and for a very affordable price. The Mosin Nagant, while being a powerful rifle, was not developed with hunting in mind. And all the hunting ammunition that I ever found only had corosive primers.
And as for the hunting technique I use, it's simply a stalking method of an area that I know that the hogs are in. Just find an area where they've been rooting up the ground. I usually hunt alonside small streams in the swamps. You'll stumble accross either single males or groups of sows with piglets. If you stumble accross that gift, shoot as many of the piglets as you can. Hunker down, and wait for them to come back. It may take anywhere up to half an hour. But more often then not, they will return to continue their feeding.
The smaller the hog, the better the meat. Leave the big boars alone or shoot them and leave them lay. After a boar reaches 150lbs or bigger is usually the time they reach sexual maturity. And thats when they start to stink. And once a boar gets that stink to him, you might as well forget about eating him. But remember, if you kill a sexually mature hog, you take breeding stock out of your own supply. But then again, those cutters make nice trophies. So take a big boar every now and then. If for nothing less then to prove productivity to of your hunts to the land owner.
I hope that I was able to provide some good advice to you. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
And if you're unsuccesful in the woods, there's always some hogs at your local bar. They can best be harvested close to closing time. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Good luck with your hunts.

Back
Top Bottom