• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pig Hunting

KEN, when ever you are ready to go, just let me know, i would love to got pig hunting. never done it before, but im sure as hell, ready, willing and able. AS to the side arm.... will my fiveseven be enough to do the job or do i need to bring a big ass 357?

I asked this question earlier but the thread went in the wrong direction.

I want to start hunting Feral Pigs.

What do I need to get set up, From gear to license.
I will be looking for farmers that want the pigs gone from their land. Where do get the pig processed?

Processing... Call around to processors that work on deer and ask them if they work on hogs, Or you learn how to do it yourself. (Cheaper)

I hav
I plan on using a Mosin Nagant as my primary rifle.

Other that that, what will I need to be ready.

Please no smart mouth answers

Clothing- Your street cloths or if you want camo.. It really does not matter. I have pig hunted on Ft Benning for about 7 years and it doesn't matter what I go in I still take 2-3 hog every time I go out. Invest in some good Boots!

Firearm- 223/5.56 and up! I have taken them with 5.56, 30-30-, 30.06, 270, 308, 375 H&H Always remember to have a backup handgun with you!

GA license. BIG GAME package. They can be hunted year around accept primitive Deer and Primitive turkey seasons.

So the farmer pays a pro the pro sells slots kills a few more pigs and its a revolving door. Pigs are smart if the farmer allowed regular access to the land high hunt pressure the pigs would either be dead or someone else's problem. Hunting pressure is key.

We don't get paid by farmers, generally. If they are farther away than 30 miles or so and I don't have customers I'll ask for gas for myself or one of the other shooters that work with us. Not that often ,a few times in select cases. Also, were not getting paid for our time, our bullets, or our insurance from the farmer in those cases. We do what we need to to make sure they are taken care of so we keep hunting rights. It works, but it doesn't pay the bills, trust me.

Its rare your going to really help them with a major hog problem in one trip. In order to take care of a farm that hasn't had effective hog control before we do a 'clean out' that usually takes a couple weeks of 3-7 nights a week with 6-10 hours a night. Sometimes 2-3 of us on several different fields on one property. Gas adds up quick if you don't have paying customers lined up. Pressure has to be maintained.

In order to get a sever hog problem under control you need to apply LOTS of pressure. It also means getting bullets in as many hogs as possible before they make it back into the woods. IF we can do this without being smelled, sighted or heard they (any survivors) will associate that particular field as a very bad place to get a free meal and will move onto safer food sources. If we fail in one of those three things, they will come back in a matter of time, but will be MUCH harder to get bullets into them next time. When we get it right we can give the farmer real relief from hogs that have made HIS pocket their feeding trough.

Within a few weeks we will be able to go to property's we saw 40-150 hogs (3-10 separate sounders) a night and find hogs 1 out of 4 trips thru or more (1 hog to a single sounder maybe). Property's with creeks/rivers or other waterways act as hog highways. They will always trickle up and down those and pop in and out of places with whatever they want at the moment. That's why after a clean out we still patrol our clients farms to help maintain it so hogs don't get comfortable there. It provides exciting hunts for paying customers. That combined with our landowners and farmers input on fresh sign or damage lets us get on hogs in a pretty wide coverage area really well. 591 hogs our second year in biz. We hunt all year round, cause hogs breed, feed and damage farms all year long. Were the only company I know of that does this. We get most of our new property's from referrals, so our farmers like what we do. We add a few new farms each year. I'm loving it.

When we don't have paying customers we always invite our land owners or farmers to come and hunt with us to see how we do what we do. No charge.

Back
Top Bottom