• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pin Shoot in Cumming

A few friends and I have talked about trying out this pin shoot since its like 5 minutes away. Just for something to do on a week night. I keep meaning to check out the store sometime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't bring any reloads to shoot their match at Trigger Time, they don't allow them.

Don't bring any reloads to shoot their match at Trigger Time, they don't allow them.
Yeah I've read they started doing that. I think they had some issues with people having unsafe ammo.

Not sure if it became an issue after I stopped regularly shooting that match a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

27C1A951-54B4-46CF-81B2-A90BD5DC818D.jpeg

Monday night, I'm doing this.

If nobody from the outdoors trader shows up, I'm gonna come back here later and brag. I'll tell some real tall tales about how I cleaned all seven pins in 3.5 seconds.
( and I won't mention that two out of the seven were those black-painted no-shoot pins.)

Well, the place was pretty full. I think we had 15 shooters. I got there late. It would be best to show up by 5:45, but I was running behind schedule.

Last night they introduced some new twists to the pin matches. It mattered in what order you shot the pins. Some stages were "right to left" but others were "center pin first, then outside to inside pins, in order." Some tables had one red pin and one green pin-- you had to shoot the green pin off the table before you could shoot anything else. The red pin had to be the last one to fall (if you left it standing because you ran out of ammo, there was a time penalty).

I did pretty well with an open-sighted Springfield XD9, 5" bbl, using 124 gr. 9 x 19mm NATO spec ammo.

The guys who had small red dot sights on their pistols did the best, although a few of us iron-sight folks were pretty close to them on speed and accuracy. But I think an RMR or micro-dot optic gives you an advantage in a game like this, even if you're only shooting from 10 yards. Those red dot optics let you shoot FASTER, not just with more precision.

The guys who had small red dot sights on their pistols did the best, although a few of us iron-sight folks were pretty close to them on speed and accuracy. But I think an RMR or micro-dot optic gives you an advantage in a game like this, even if you're only shooting from 10 yards. Those red dot optics let you shoot FASTER, not just with more precision.

There's a reason pretty much any competition separates optics from irons. They should either run 2 divisions or not allow optics.

What’s a
“Suitable gun”?

A "suitable gun" (as I used that term in the original post) is one that is a semi-auto, NOT a double-action only trigger unless it's remarkably short and light (the Para Ordnance LDA comes to mind) and holds at least 9 rounds total. Other guns may be better, or close to ideal, but that's what I think is suitable. So yes, most people's medium sized concealed carry pistols will be suitable. As long as you can hit the top of a bowling pin at 10 yards with it.

The daily carry gun I had with me on the first visit a month ago, a S&W .38 snubby, 5-shot, with a 2" barrel, isn't suitable for this game.

Perhaps a 7-shot .357 revolver would be, especially if it's had an action polish and trigger job with mainspring replacement. But, if you miss even one pin, you won't get a second shot at it. You'll just have to take the time penalty.

Back
Top Bottom