• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pine Log hogs

These were how the regs were interpreted last year, but it was clearly a technicality. Double check before you go to make sure they have not interpreted it differently for this season.

I just called and they said you are allowed hunt hogs all season but can only use a small game rifle during squirrel season to kill a hog. Is shotgun considered small game weapon?
Who did you talk to? Did you specifically ask about the Fur Bearer thing?

A shotgun is a small game weapon, but only with #2 shot or smaller and that's not enough to reliably kill a hog.

Who did you talk to? Did you specifically ask about the Fur Bearer thing?

A shotgun is a small game weapon, but only with #2 shot or smaller and that's not enough to reliably kill a hog.

No, but it is plenty enough to piss one off and get chased up a tree! Better hang on to the gun while climbing! LOL

I've never heard of these regs, but there is no reason why I should. I have some friends who hunt a certain WMA in South Ga and they have always used deer rifles to kill hogs. They use them during late deer season too. Perhaps the rules have changed, or perhaps they were hunting illegally all along and do not know it. LOL

No, but it is plenty enough to piss one off and get chased up a tree! Better hang on to the gun while climbing! LOL

I've never heard of these regs, but there is no reason why I should. I have some friends who hunt a certain WMA in South Ga and they have always used deer rifles to kill hogs. They use them during late deer season too. Perhaps the rules have changed, or perhaps they were hunting illegally all along and do not know it. LOL
In the past it has always been legal to use deer rifles during deer season to kill hogs. The change is that they made it legal to use deer rifles for fur bearers. I was told the change was made so that people could kill a fur bearer while deer hunting without breaking the law. They extended the time frame you could do this to the end of the fur bearer season.

The regs on hogs say that you can use any weapon that is legal to hunt other species with at the time you are hunting hogs. Because you can use deer rifles on fur bearers until the end of February, that means you can use deer rifles for hogs on public land until the end of February as long as there is no specific reg against it or fur bearer hunting is not allowed.

It's a little complicated, but I got this verified last year from two different sources at the DNR. Unless they have changed the interpretation since last year, it's legal.

Reactions: MRH
In the past it has always been legal to use deer rifles during deer season to kill hogs. The change is that they made it legal to use deer rifles for fur bearers. I was told the change was made so that people could kill a fur bearer while deer hunting without breaking the law. They extended the time frame you could do this to the end of the fur bearer season.

The regs on hogs say that you can use any weapon that is legal to hunt other species with at the time you are hunting hogs. Because you can use deer rifles on fur bearers until the end of February, that means you can use deer rifles for hogs on public land until the end of February as long as there is no specific reg against it or fur bearer hunting is not allowed.

It's a little complicated, but I got this verified last year from two different sources at the DNR. Unless they have changed the interpretation since last year, it's legal.

So I CAN use a rifle during small game season to harvest a hog?

Back
Top Bottom