• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol Class recommendations

jbone

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
Hello- I’m looking for some class recommendations to help me become a more consistent shooter.

I live in the Buford/ Dacula area, and the Ga Gun Club offers a beginner pistol class and a defensive pistol class. Both classes are like 8 hrs.

I suppose the Goldilocks in me is looking for a more practical pistol class that focuses on building on good habits without spending a long time on cleaning and beginner stuff is really what I’m looking for.

Does that kind of class exist? If so, I’d love to hear from y’all.

Thanks.

Practice is the only thing that'll help you become a more consistent shooter.

Classes aren't magic. They just show you deficiencies and give a little feedback on what you should work on.

The real improvement comes from repetitive actions and developing the muscle memory.

For mechanics, highly recommend Scott Jedlinski - Modern Samurai Project. Especially if you have any interest in optic equipped handguns. He's a guru.

Aaron Cowan and Jon Dufresne of Sage Dynamics are great for defensive rifle/pistol training.

Lee Weems does some great local classes that sound up your alley.

And if you really want to find the mechanical flaws of your shooting, don't discount the competitive shooters. Highly recommend Andreas Yankopolus - a local USPSA Production Grand Master. He does some classes out of South River Gun Club a handful of times a year.

I would say as a general rule... skip the indoor ranges and their "training" offering. It's usually very vanilla and geared towards the beginner crowds.

Here’s the courses that I currently have on my calendar. A complete description of each course is listed separately in the Tactics & Training forum here on ODT, or just ask me and I’ll provide it.

Upcoming courses/events being held by Precision Applications, LLC:

February 22-23: Residential Room Clearing & Response to Active Shooter Level 2
$500
Powder Springs GA

March 7: Combat Handgun & Lowlight Techniques
$250
Jefferson GA

March 14-15: Basic Precision Rifle Course
$600
Pelham TN

March 21-22: Residential Room Clearing & Response to Active Shooter Level 1
$400
Powder Springs GA

April 4: Combat Shotgun
$250
Powder Springs GA

April 18-19: Residential Room Clearing & Response to Active Shooter Level 3
$900
Blakely GA

May 2-3: Guerrilla Sniper
$600
Blakely GA

June 6: Advanced Handgun
$250
Powder Springs GA

August 1: Extreme Close Quarters Shooting / Down & Disabled
$250
Powder Springs GA

September 5: Combat Carbine Teamwork
$250
Powder Springs GA

October 10-11: Basic Precision Rifle Course
$600
Pelham TN

October 17: Combat Carbine
$250
Powder Springs GA

November 21: Combat Carbine & Lowlight Techniques
$250
Jefferson GA

December 5: CCW Handgun Tactics & Techniques
$250
Powder Springs GA

Semper Fi!

Thanks cmshoot cmshoot , First Person Safety First Person Safety - I will certainly see if any of these will be a good fit. I have seen both of your posts in this forum, and have already looked at some of the training offered.

Dirty J Dirty J - I totally agree on the practice piece. It's the critique that comes from a class that helps me better know what habits to perpetuate, and which ones to stop doing.

I appreciate the advice.

Back
Top Bottom