• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol Hunting Scope Suggestions?

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Ok.... I bought a 44 Mag single action.... I am getting a scope mount installed on it. I am going to use this for hog....but I would like to use it for deer also.... I have Nikon Pro Staff scopes on my rifles..... any suggestions on a good quality $125-$175 range scope for my pistol?

It's going to be hard to recommend a good quality handgun scope in your price range. I would recommend going with a fixed power in the 2X range for the 44 mag.,really any caliber for deer and hog. My first choice would likely be a Red Dot type site. Most offer no magnification, but are great for quick target aquisition, and very usable for even bullseye shooting at reasonable ranges. Stay away from the chi-com stuff, but there are some decent Red Dot sites at what are very reasonable prices compared to just a few years back. Simple is good on a hunting rig, so look for one without a bunch of whistles and bells that may only get out of whack at the least opportune time. I prefer the enclosed tube type for hunting, as they handle rain and other such things better than the open reflex type.

Thanks.... I have a Truglo.... it costs about $200.... I had an issue when hunting right at dawn.... so I was trying to stay away from a illuminated style scope.....

I have an old Redfield 2.5X fixed power on my 44MAG bbl for my T/C Contender and have never needed or wanted for more in this application. Great for pigs and deer.
Burris and Weaver make good pistol scopes too IMO and of course Leupold also.

I know the above info doesn't give you exactly what you were asking for but you might be able to find a good used one off Ebay in your price range. Just keep in mind the recoil associated with 44MAG (especially a revolver) in your purchasing decision and personally I'd rather buy a used better quality scope than a new cheap one. Invest in quality mounts too cause they can make all the difference as well.

Too much magnification will make the target hard to aquire and it will be hard to hold on target. Whatever you choose (I'm a big fan of Leupold products) try to keep the magnification level down. Life will be much easier.

Back
Top Bottom