• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol purchase from another state, but from a GA resident...

A soldier is considered a resident of both his home state and the state he's residing in temporarily while assigned to a military post, right? This is one of those rare cases were the law of "residency" is not exactly the same as one's domicile. An active-duty military person can have dual residency for gun law purposes, but not more than one "domicile."

So, can a resident of Georgia meet another resident of Georgia and do a F.T.F. gun sale in some other state?
Suppose I travel to a gun show in Chattanooga, TN and there encounter a fellow from Valdosta, Ga, with a privately-owned gun for sale? Yeah, could buy that gun. I'm a GA resident. He's a GA resident. We don't have to be physically located in GA to make this work.

Suppose two friends from GA went elk hunting in Wyoming for a week.
During that trip, one hunter agreed to sell his back-up gun, a .357 revolver, to his buddy. The deal takes place in a hunting cabin in Wyoming, but it's between two Georgia residents.

I don't see a problem. Not under federal law, or GA law.

My only qualification to this statement is I'm not sure that the "dual residency" of military is the law in every state.

Also, I think that there is an open question that take place in states with special restriction on sales (FOID in Illinois), or require a background check for all sales, as the focus of those laws is the transaction itself, and not the residency of the participants.

If a military member is under PCS orders they are a resident of the state where they are stationed, Home of record is where they enlisted. That is one reason they changed the 4473 in Jan 2017, The bottom left block was removed asking state of res. the address where you live is now used, In this case duty station of PCS orders.

When I was stationed in Commiefornia, we were allowed to keep our drivers license from home state, and keep our cars tagged in our home state. That was in the 80's and 90's though.

That all sounds good... but...

Since the transfer is taking place in another state's jurisdiction, it's laws would apply.

For example, if that state required a background check for private sales, you don't get to skip that just because you are both from a different state.

At the end of the day, one of you is still crossing state lines to sell or buy a handgun... which to me would mean an FFL has to be in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom