• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol red dots…how important is back up irons?

After going to a range once only to find I had left my red dot on and not having a spare battery I put the gun back in my truck. I’ve never bought another red dot. Now I have all prism and traditional scopes. I did just get a Vortex razor lpvo. It’s got the best of both worlds.

After going to a range once only to find I had left my red dot on and not having a spare battery I put the gun back in my truck. I’ve never bought another red dot. Now I have all prism and traditional scopes. I did just get a Vortex razor lpvo. It’s got the best of both worlds.
I do same. I only use Vortex optics with etched reticle and actually shoot with illumination off as Red and Green dots are not cruisp with my eye sight.

I’ve broken ~3 sets of irons and only one red dot so…..

The rear window of the dot acts as a ghost ring sight, so it is kind of a back up. Also the Holosun’s have a rear iron sight built in. I’m happy with mine and low/standard irons on my 365xl
Three Iron sight's you kin to Bypass aka Magnum???? how does one break an Iron sight ? ..............
Now I have over tightened a Matech and you know the thing ............

Three Iron sight's you kin to Bypass aka Magnum???? how does one break an Iron sight ? ..............
Now I have over tightened a Matech and you know the thing ............
I was a semi-pro sponsored 3 gun and USPSA shooter for about a decade. I have a few guns with over 100k through them. **** happens. Hitting a barricade, thrown in a dump bucket, you take a shot and go to follow up and the front sight is just gone, that kind of thing. Come in too high to a port, clip a corner, or even just not paying attention with your width and slam a holstered pistol.

To be fair, I broke a quality red dot, too. But they are not so fragile these days to outweigh the benefit. Yes there are a few cases where a red dot can get ruined, but you can still make COM shots using a slide sight picture or should be able to point/shoot in a pinch, so I'm not worried about it.

I shot the dickens drill last week. 12 rounds, cold, out of my 365xl with dot at 25 yards (my carry gun) then again with a target 1911 (my "favorite" platform). The drill is 12 seconds but I did it in 6. All hits, mostly A zone with the 365. two Mikes with the 1911. Was humbling honestly but showed me that the dot is worth it's weight in this case.

Back
Top Bottom