• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol red dots?

Just starting down this road. Added one to an mos enjoyed it at the range. Just sent a slide to be milled for another. I noticed first range day with the dot I was making solid hits at longer distance than with irons. In for others opinions.
Where would one send a slide to get it retrofitted? I have an older .40C that is my OG and I love it. I wouldn’t mind putting one on.

am I right thinking the bigger window will be an advantage? The smaller window holosuns I’ve shot with seem cramped.

Depends on shooter but yeah, some like a bigger window. I have not had issues with windows personally with holosun but again that’s just one guys experience. If ya can test different ones out that’s always a plus

Complete novice here...but one thing I've noticed. If you're good with the grip and pointing the dot shows up immediately. I've got the 2 moa dot Holosun.

Once you have the natural point it shows up just right there. Sounds like you would be a good candidate.

Shooting my FN 509c and Shadow Systems from 7 to 25 yards. Most were at 10 yards, groups spread some at 25 yards. Learning how it points is the learning curve you have to get used to.

Attachments

• 20220621_171228.jpg
    20220621_171228.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 11
There's a few things to consider when selecting pistol optics.

1. MOA - the larger the dot, the easier it is to acquire. But larger dots cover the target more at distance; making longer shots more difficult. Smaller dots are more precise, but can slow down your engagement time. In my opinion, a 2 or 3 MOA dot is a good median. 1 MOA is good if you're shooting precision matches. 6 MOA is good if you're shooting USPSA type matches.

2. Form factor - the larger the window, the better field of view and the easier it is to find the dot. Some optics (like the ACRO) are enclosed, which has benefits, but also obscures your view more.

3. Auto features - such as: Battery saver (self explanatory) and Shake Awake (turns on when you need it). Also, Auto Brightness is great because you don't have time to adjust dot brightness in the heat of a moment. A super bright dot in low light will cause blooming. And a dim dot in direct sunlight is difficult to acquire. Either one could land you in a pine box.

4. Battery location - some have the battery on the bottom; so every time you change the battery, you have to re-zero.

5. Red vs Green - The human eye detects green faster than red. Take a look through optics with different colors and see which one you are partial too. Green dot optics also have marginally longer battery life because it requires less power to emit. You'll also notice less blueish tint of the lens on green optics, because less tinting is needed to reflect the green dot.

6. Night vision - If you run NODs, you'll want an optic with an NV mode.

That being said, I recommend (and use both) the Trijicon RMR or DeltaPoint Pro. A couple other great options are the Burris Fastfire 3, Vortex Venom, and Holosun 507K X2.

There's a few things to consider when selecting pistol optics.

1. MOA - the larger the dot, the easier it is to acquire. But larger dots cover the target more at distance; making longer shots more difficult. Smaller dots are more precise, but can slow down your engagement time. In my opinion, a 2 or 3 MOA dot is a good median. 1 MOA is good if you're shooting precision matches. 6 MOA is good if you're shooting USPSA type matches.

2. Form factor - the larger the window, the better field of view and the easier it is to find the dot. Some optics (like the ACRO) are enclosed, which has benefits, but also obscures your view more.

3. Auto features - such as: Battery saver (self explanatory) and Shake Awake (turns on when you need it). Also, Auto Brightness is great because you don't have time to adjust dot brightness in the heat of a moment. A super bright dot in low light will cause blooming. And a dim dot in direct sunlight is difficult to acquire. Either one could land you in a pine box.

4. Battery location - some have the battery on the bottom; so every time you change the battery, you have to re-zero.

5. Red vs Green - The human eye detects green faster than red. Take a look through optics with different colors and see which one you are partial too. Green dot optics also have marginally longer battery life because it requires less power to emit. You'll also notice less blueish tint of the lens on green optics, because less tinting is needed to reflect the green dot.

6. Night vision - If you run NODs, you'll want an optic with an NV mode.

That being said, I recommend (and use both) the Trijicon RMR or DeltaPoint Pro. A couple other great options are the Burris Fastfire 3, Vortex Venom, and Holosun 507K X2.
Thank you!

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. Whatever you get, practice practice practice. Red dots are faster than irons because there's only 2 focal planes instead of 4, like with irons.

Irons = front sight (elevation & windage) + rear sight + target

Red dot = target + red dot

Remember this when using a red dot, do NOT focus on the dot. Focus on the target and superimpose the dot over the target. Shooters coming from irons (me included) make that mistake, so it's harder to get used to the red dot. This also helps the Shooter make more accurate shots by focusing on the threat, instead of focusing on a front sight tip. And helps keep you from getting tunnel vision.

I see why there’s a couple of weeks most guys say they had to get used to their dots.
So when I call my shots it’s the dot that will give me the visual as to what I’m doing instead of the front sight?

I see why there’s a couple of weeks most guys say they had to get used to their dots.
So when I call my shots it’s the dot that will give me the visual as to what I’m doing instead of the front sight?

Correct. The irons are there as backup. Focus on the target, overlay the dot, and send those rounds!

Back
Top Bottom