• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol safe/box

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
So I needed something to lock my nightstand pistol up in now since my three year old is a crazy lunatic who ransacks everything. I’ve been keeping it locked in my truck but just don’t feel responsible doing that seeing how low life’s like to steal things.

I googled and goodled some more and find this on Amazon with pretty good reviews. Vivreal biometric Safe. Now remember it’s not to keep thief’s out, just my three year old. Can store up to 100 different fingerprints.

VIVREAL Biometric Gun Safe, Gun Safes for Pistols, Smart Quick Fingerprint Scanner, Easily Access Key Lock, Gun Case with Auto-Open Lid and Wall Mount Bracket, Portable Handgun Safe for Money, Jewelry https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDZYPR1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.idcCbB6V3YA0

It was delivered today and was super easy to program and set up!

I picked up a $12.95 lock box at Harbor Freight. It has a key but no 3 year old will be able to open it. Mine is to keep little ones from getting to the firearm. I don't use it when they are not in the house.

Robbers and bad guys will send in nasty comment cards if you ask them to wait while you open your gun box.

When we started having kids we stopped carrying one in the chamber. So all of our guns (with four kids) are loaded, stashed around the house, and "condition three". Our kids up to 8 years old can't rack the slides so they could be completely unsupervised (never happens), find one of our stash guns (hasn't happened yet below 12 yrs old), and carry it around like a cowboy (13 years now and never happened) and he/she STILL wouldn't be able to make it functional.

If you're in an area where you really might need a gun, consider just making them condition three instead of locking them up in a box. Guns need freedom too.

My brother just got a fingerprint-scanning pistol box for his nightstand.
It uses only 1 fingerr to scan, but multiple fingers can each be added as an "approved access" finger. Could be two fingers of his (left and right index fingers) plus spouse, adult child, etc.

He just bought it, so I can't comment on reliability or longevity.
Right now, it works great and the lid pops open within one second after you stick your finger on the scan pad.

Cost was $160, I think he said.

My brother just got a fingerprint-scanning pistol box for his nightstand.
It uses only 1 fingerr to scan, but multiple fingers can each be added as an "approved access" finger. Could be two fingers of his (left and right index fingers) plus spouse, adult child, etc.

He just bought it, so I can't comment on reliability or longevity.
Right now, it works great and the lid pops open within one second after you stick your finger on the scan pad.

Cost was $160, I think he said.

That’s how this one works also. Very quick access!

I don't have one as I am the only at home. However, those that use the RFID seem like a good thing. You wear a wrist band with the RFID and wave it over the top to open. Seems like it would be quicker and maybe more reliable than fingerprint scan. Seems like Hornady makes them.

Other option is place the gun somewhere the kid cannot reach it. Might be difficult but doable.

Rosewood

I have a different brand for. I have had it for about 3 years now and the batteries are still good. You can use finger print, code or key. I'm like you though, it's just for the little ones. It's empty when I'm not home

I hate finger print stuff. What if it gets smudged and doesn't read your finger print when you need your pistol. That or I don't know what you do for a living ,but get a cut on your finger or something? I don't really know to be honest ,but I have seen one with the four finger combo digit I would feel safer with.

Back
Top Bottom