• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol scopes?

I used a Burris 2x Posi-Lock pistol scope for years, on a TC Contender in .375 Winchester. Worked great. I used it for deer in Ohio every year. Longest shot on live game was a successful 140 yards.

Some pistols in some calibers require a magnified optic. If you’ve got a good gun and ammo, and are a capable shooter, a magnified optic will greatly increase the instance at which you can ethically game.

There are many reasons why someone hunts with a handgun. Yes, they’re compact and handy. So much so, that even when you bolt a scope to the top it is still much more compact, lightweight, and handier than a rifle or shotgun. Some states don’t allow rifles, which is why I used a handgun in Ohio.

Ive often wanted to scope my 44 but then flip back and forth as to if Id rather shoot irons. Im only comfortable with a range of 50 yards and at most 75ish for a clean kill. Id hate to wound an animal.

So Im in for info on this discussion.

I've got a Nikon 2x on a Super Blackhawk Hunter that's been good so far (just put another 40 rounds downrange today with it).

Also have a Burris variable power scope that I've had for years and years on a TC contender 35 remington. I need to send it back, a screw came off the variable power ring and need to have them look it over. I think it's a 2-6 or 2-7x?

If you haven't ordered yet consider a Burris 2x 6 variable or leupold 4 power. Low light at 100 + yards 2 x isn't enough to make out antler count

Hence the reason they invented binoculars! Anyone counting antlers through their scope should reevaluate their hunting practices.
It has worked for me for 30 + years. I have handguns with. 2, 4 and 6 power. If I were only going to have one it would be the 4x.
Below are some of the ones l use. I have harvested many deer with these. Don't think I need to reevaluate anything. How many deer have u taken with a hand gun?
20151124_202054.jpg

It has worked for me for 30 + years. I have handguns with. 2, 4 and 6 power. If I were only going to have one it would be the 4x.
Below are some of the ones l use. I have harvested many deer with these. Don't think I need to reevaluate anything. How many deer have u taken with a hand gun?View attachment 2165640
Probably about 30+ all told. I've hunted with a handgun since the day it became legal. 44 mag S&W 629 with 8-3/8" barrel and open sights or my 686 long nose open sights are my handguns of choice for hunting. Either one, doesn't matter. Longest shot 100+ yards DRT, but most shots 25 - 55 yards. No need for scope and no need to count antlers through the scope before the shot. My binoculars already told me that was the deer to shoot, the sights on the gun are for aiming, not evaluating.

Sweet selection of revolvers, I'll give you that. A person can NEVER have too many wheel guns.

Probably about 30+ all told. I've hunted with a handgun since the day it became legal. 44 mag S&W 629 with 8-3/8" barrel and open sights or my 686 long nose open sights are my handguns of choice for hunting. Either one, doesn't matter. Longest shot 100+ yards DRT, but most shots 25 - 55 yards. No need for scope and no need to count antlers through the scope before the shot. My binoculars already told me that was the deer to shoot, the sights on the gun are for aiming, not evaluating.

Sweet selection of revolvers, I'll give you that. A person can NEVER have too many wheel guns.
Good for you, i offen back pack hunt and every once counts, so I learned to make do without binos. 4 x is a good all around hg scope. If you plan on staying less then than I00 yards 2x is ok. Really it is personal preference. Stay way from low-end cost scopes on 41mag and above they want last. A Burris or leupold is going to cost you 3 to 4 but they have a life time warranty, got a few tc barrels with and without scopes. I keep a short 44 mag barrel with a 2x Burris for early season when I can't get a long shot out of some stands. MGM makes great custom tc barrels

Back
Top Bottom