• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Piston with spacer on Rifle?

ShooterG

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
30   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using a Silencerco Hybrid or other similar can with a piston and fixed barrel spacer on a 5.56 or similar pressure rifle? I already have the correct thread piston and the spacer - dont want to spend more money on a fixed barrel mount if I dont really need to.

Over time, I'd think you would beat the hell out of it, which could lead to disastrous consequences. I get the saving money aspect, but you dumped a good amount into the can and tax stamps, I'd do it right and get a fixed barrel mount, or, get the the appropriate QD muzzle device.

Over time, I'd think you would beat the hell out of it, which could lead to disastrous conveniences. I get the saving money aspect, but you dumped a good amount into the can and tax stamps, I'd do it right and get a fixed barrel mount, or, get the the appropriate QD muzzle device.
Agreed. Just hoping for some real world experience out there. I emailed silencerco even though I knew they would say "buy more of our stuff". They said the pistons won't be able to withstand the pressure of a rifle round.

I guess my additional grievance is they jacked up the prices on the adapter since the time I bought the can. Sig did that too. I did a bunch of research on accessory pricing along with initial can cost to really do a $ for $ comparison. Seems they advertise low adapter pricing until the new to market cans are in people's hands and actually buying parts.

Agreed. Just hoping for some real world experience out there. I emailed silencerco even though I knew they would say "buy more of our stuff". They said the pistons won't be able to withstand the pressure of a rifle round.

I guess my additional grievance is they jacked up the prices on the adapter since the time I bought the can. Sig did that too. I did a bunch of research on accessory pricing along with initial can cost to really do a $ for $ comparison. Seems they advertise low adapter pricing until the new to market cans are in people's hands and actually buying parts.
I would listen to them. There's a lot of pressure coming out of that muzzle. The spacers a re thin and certainly not designed for that amount of pressure.

The brakes and such from SCO are actually well priced, when compared to other quality muzzle devices. They certainly add up as you get them on your rifles though.

$129 msrp($95 cheapest I've found) for a Direct thread mount isn't what I would consider well priced. I'm not about to spend $250+ just to get an asr mount and one brake then $90 for any more guns. Not at this point.

I’ll be that guy. You are putting a device that you attach to another device that is attempting to control an explosive charge. Buy the proper mount . You should never put spacers or anything else other than factory mounts on a rifle suppressor .

If it’s a .22 then knock yourself out : with a high pressure rifle round you could easily turn that suppressor into a missile .

Back
Top Bottom