• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Planting Potatoes

I get tree chips from the power company once they have composted for about a year they mix very well with soil and it is free , I think that is the answer you wanted. Black cow and mushroom compost is awesome but cost a lot more than taters .

Pearlite is relatively inexpensive and along with some organic matter, coconut coir or spagnum moss, will break up clay soil. It can be recycled into other plantings or thrown in the compost pile so it’s not a once and done thing. Plant in a container, the varieties are endless and YouTube has some great ideas. Keep covering them as they grow to increase yield.

I get tree chips from the power company once they have composted for about a year they mix very well with soil and it is free , I think that is the answer you wanted. Black cow and mushroom compost is awesome but cost a lot more than taters .
I noticed several years ago how rich the soil was becoming under my wood splitter. Started hitting up the power line cleaners whenever they were on my road. Works great as a mulch and builds the soil as they break down.

I just planted 50 rooted sweet potato slips late yesterday of the Covington variety (offer much more disease resistance). Had 18 Beauregard plants last year and filled to overflowing two large laundry baskets. Hoping for a bigger harvest this year.

You can grow potatoes in leaves or straw. If you use a container or tires, they come out perfectly clean. Plant them, then keep on piling on the leaves or straw as the plants grow. Heavy feeders so keep the fertilizer coming.

Little late to be planting them though, bugs will get them

Back
Top Bottom