• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plate choices?

Don't flame me too bad....but the plates I have now are IIIA steel, from AR500.

I originally chose them several years back, based on the fact I had no intention of rifle fire in my direction for the foreseeable future, they don't have an expiration date, can stand rough treatment being thrown in a trunk or truck bed, and were less than 5lb.
Maybe not the best choice.....but it is what it is.
I surely don't want anything heavier, and truthfully, if this was all I had, I'd still likely be protected against most of what is likely.
I read somewhere that LE reports show ~80% of shootings they face are handgun calibers. Who knows how accurate that is.....
However, if I can cut the weight in half and gain some rifle protection, that's what got me thinking about the SRT plates.
No flaming at all! Im not trying to flame anyone. I just give info where I can. Everyone starts somewhere and there’s a ton of info to sift through.

I would argue that you are definitely more likely to be shot at with a handgun in your day to day life as that statistic implies.

However, on the inverse, if you’re feeling the need to don body armor and you don’t work a gun toting job, it most likely isn’t your average day to day activities and the threats may be different.

There’s no 100% right choice for what level armor is right for you. I’m just throwing out some food for thought.

I haven’t had personal experience with either plate.

Just in to say m855 isn’t really an exotic round. It’s probably one of the most common rounds in peoples stockpiles.

Steel plates suck. Spalling and deflection are dangerous regardless of what miracle coatings they allegedly applied
Which plates are you running?

I haven’t had personal experience with either plate.

Just in to say m855 isn’t really an exotic round. It’s probably one of the most common rounds in peoples stockpiles.

Steel plates suck. Spalling and deflection are dangerous regardless of what miracle coatings they allegedly applied

A good example of spalling from 7.62fmj...

20210327_113052.jpg

I can't provide any info as far as weight comparisons, but I bought the MIRA lvl 4 plates. I was being really cheap, and I really liked the impact ratings compared to the equivalent Hesco. They're thick though. After reading up on MIRA, they seem to be a pretty quality driven company.

Here’s an example of an ar500 plate versus a few M193’s out of a 20 in barrel,

View attachment 5276303
What cutting corners on quality/ price gets you. Ide rather buy quality than be under the impression my overweight plates will protect me lol. Itde be bad enough my plates failed, now I gotta move off the X with this weight.. but I saved some money ya know.

I've got a set of Hesco l210's and a set of RMA RMA Level IIIa #0226. Both in Slicksters. The hesco is a really good product for the money. Good size/weight/cost/protection balance. You get get a set on trex for 400 bucks. https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Hesco-L210-Special-Threat-Plate-Set/. The special threat plate is not NIJ certified (and I wouldn't get too caught up on that) but it's manufacture rating is up to 5.56 and 7.62x39. I picked up the RMA, when I started looking for another set, something lighter, they're only rated for pistol rounds, however, they're feather-light, with plates less than a pound. I can wear it under a polo, and forget I have it on. I carry it in a backpack often. The hesco plates are pretty discreet as well, especially in the slickster. I'd go for ceramic over steel, for the same reason everyone says: Spalling and weight. I have heard steel is getting better, with the coating. The soft armor I'm issued at work is only level II...that's why I started looking at plates. I use mine to: plus up my duty kit, keep something on stand-by in personal vehicles, and train with. Ultimately, you've gotta pick what's best for you, and if you're asking this question you're already headed in the right direction. Cheers bother!

Back
Top Bottom