• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plated bullets in rifle

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
Both Berrys and Xtreme Bullets recommend limiting the velocity of their plated bullets to 1200 fps. I presume they're talking about revolver speeds, and I'm guessing that the real issue is pressure, not velocity. If I shoot the same bullet in a rifle (think 357 mag or 44 mag), it's going to go faster without increased pressure. So I'm thinking that the same load that produces 1000fps in a 6" GP100 might yield 1300 or 1400 fps in a 20" Rossi or Marlin. It seems to me that this should work fine. I'd be interested to hear the experiences of others who have used plated bullets in these rifles.

So far, I've been loading these to around 800fps in a 6" revolver. That's 4 grains bullseye in a 357 (158g RNFP), or 6 grains in a 44 mag (240g RNFP).

I'm also wondering whether I need to make any adjustment in bullet seating/crimp for the rifle. I'm just removing the bell / applying a light taper crimp on these for the revolver. Thoughts / recommendations appreciated!

If you use a gas check for over the recommended velocity, might work idk. But one issue maybe fouling the bore regardless. im not a fan of the plated projectiles, for targets prefer fmj then lead, plated last

UMMM??
I don't think the problem is pressure at all, I think the problem is spinning force separating the plating from the core at excessive speeds.
or simply stripping the plating off going down the barrel.
figure twist rate/ FPS and see the difference in pistol VS rifle.
I believe that both offer a heavy plated projectile in certain calibers but personally I would call and talk to someone knowledgeable at the companies.
bet they say NO!

Xtreme Bullets replied with a rather ambiguous answer. They said it's fine to shoot my loads through a rifle, but said they don't recommend pushing the velocities "any faster." OTOH they also have a rather ambiguous statement on velocity in their "bullet/load info" on the web site:

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities.We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp
So maybe 1500 fps is ok. Or maybe the limit is 1200fps. It sounds like the issue is with accuracy, not leading or safety. IOW, try it and see, I guess. Which is kind of what I'm doing except I'm asking first for experiences from others who have tried it.

If the makers are telling you to lower velocities to 1100 - 1500, just what do they know that you are not being told???

Not sure we would try that, however let us all know how it works should you take their mission on and go forward with it...

I'm really not interested in pushing these bullets fast. I just want an economical plinking load that I can shoot in either the revolver or the rifle. I'm not using plated bullets for "serious" work. But the rifle is likely to add 400 fps to the velocity, so I need to keep an eye on it.

the chamber pressure will not change (rise) in a gun with a longer barrel.
if a particular load creates 50K units of pressure in the chamber with a 14.5 inch AR barrel for example, it will create the same pressure in an AR with a 16 or 20in barrel.
The reason for the higher velocity in a longer barrel is that the pressure acts on the bullet for a longer period of time. Put another way, the longer a force is applied, the more an object of the same mass is going to accelerate.
Now, the pressure in the chamber may stay high for slightly longer in a longer barrel (since it takes longer for the bullet to exit and the gas to vacate), but it will not be higher than it would have been in a gun with a shorter barrel.

Fifthhorsm, thanks for your thoughts. I'm pretty sure you're wrong about reduced velocity though, unless you know something my chronograph doesn't. And that Quickload doesn't. And that this well known youtube shooter doesn't:

I know Bullseye is fast powder. I'm not married to it but I do have a large supply and it is cheap - less than $0.02 per round in my current loads.

BTW, the chamber pressure doesn't immediately drop the instant when all the powder has burned. The gasses that are still inside the barrel continue to be under pressure until the bullet exits the barrel and the gasses are released. So the bullet continues to accelerate after the powder is burned. Here's what Quickload shows about that, for 4 grains Bullseye in 20 inch barrel 357 mag. With this load the jump from 6" to 20" barrel is 235 fps, (862 to 1097 fps) which matches pretty well with what my chronograph says. So there is less increase from a longer barrel with a faster powder, but it is still a significant increase in velocity.

Capture.PNG

I'm quite familiar with how cast bullets and jacketed bullets perform in the handgun and rifle. My question is about how the plated bullet performs in a rifle. I'm asking for reports from people who have tried it.

Back
Top Bottom