• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plated Bullets, not jacketed

littleitaly

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
6   0
Reaction score
When looking at several reload manuals, they don't have much load info on copper plated bullets (the cheap target bullets that have an ultra-thin layer of copper over lead which is thinner than what is found on FMJ). Should this be treated as FMJ or Lead Cast as far as reloading goes? Does it depend on velocity? Please get me on track. Thanks

I have loaded and shot thousands of 200 and 230 grain 45 plated. I have used Xtreme, Berry’s, and Ranier, always had good results. You won’t have to worry about the plate coming off the 45, for the 10mm get a “thick plate” bullet since you’ll be flirting with 1,200fps on the top end.

Right now my go to load is a 230gr 45 plated over a warm load of Vihtavouri N320.

I have loaded lots of plated ammo from Everglades ammunition and some from xtreme. I don't know that I shoot well enough to tell one from the other. I normally load to lead levels and like it just fine. I've loaded 9mm and 38.

Been shoot plated for a while in 9. Exstream plated 115 and 124. No problems to date, keep fps under 1200 should not be a problem. I also used 125 cast, same thing keep them under 1200 fps. As alway you need to watch for leading, clean the barrel with copper scrubbies, should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom