• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
View attachment 748632 View attachment 748633 View attachment 748634 View attachment 748632 View attachment 748633 View attachment 748634 View attachment 748635 View attachment 748636 View attachment 748637 I have never in life asked for help so I find some shame in needing any. I always worked for mine and tried to give to others. It did m heart good. This year has started off horribly. While I broke my neck four years ago and have had a total of three reconstructive surgeries on my cervical spine to repair it, the end result was a horrible fail with chronic pain coming from muscle atrophy from C3-T1 in my spine. The nail in the coffin was the wreck in 2012 that set all this in motion and I haven't been able to work since and the burden has been placed on my wife. I manage to scrimp and save a bit here and there to buy from you fellas on here but it is usually the less expensive stuff I hope to make better.Well, in 2014 my wife and I were gifted with a beautiful baby boy. He brought joy back into my life as I was his daycare ad he was a happy busy little man. He became my best friend.since we spent so much time together at the house I can hardly stand to leave except to go to my chronic pain doc. 7 weeks ago, while in Palm Beach ,Florida in a horrible accident my wife accidentally backed over him. you might have red about it in the paper. Yes , that was us. I have been hit hard by the loss of our 17 month old son.It followed the loss of my father by two weeks..I am all but beaten down but not out yet and I am trying to keep my head up and get busy. I'm limited on the hour i can spend at a time working on things because i have to rest two for every one i am holding my head up. Losing 2/3rd's of the muscle in my back causes huge problems. That coupled with those losses hasbeaten me back into my Laz-boy. I had gathered most of the tools to start engraving guns which takes a lot of practice before you put your hands on another mans gun. I accrued some of the gun stock carving tools. And I bought an unconverted Saiga to build with my boy while he played outside. The financial burdens we now face have stunted, stopped my progress so I am here to ask for your help if you can. I was curious what you would like to see carved into a guns stock. I was curious to the type of work yo would like t see engraved in various type rifles.Then it boils down to the charity aspect of it. I need a checkering kit, some carving chisels, some burs for a foredom and parts to covert the Saiga. I bought some flats today from Sheperd trainer and he asked if there was anything he could do. I was contacted by another member who read my signature with the same question.I picked up some wooden ak furniture from WuDee and he asked the same. I loathe asking for help or charity so I didn't bother them. I would much rather help than be helped. After a visit to my doctor today it became painfully clear I will not be able to finish what i have started without help. If any of you are willing and have things lying around you just don't need or use anymore that will fit the bill and you would like to donate my address is 1013 Ola ale Dr. McDonough 30252. I need a couple brakes for a mosin, a brake for the saiga 7.62, a trigger group for the saiga, and some nicer quality furniture for it as I want to complete the gun as a memorial to my son and then put it away..Biker 13 was going to help me out with some antler to engrave but ended up needing his for his dog to chew on..and I get it. Any wooden stocks or furniture would be great for practice pieces and as I get better i will post the progress. If you feel like I am asking too much or you just can't help then pass on by. If you decide to help you can do it anonamously or please provide your name so I can give credit where it's due. If all you can help with is advise on the patterns you'd like to see o different guns or on your own, please share them with me,I'll practice that and see if we can work out a litle work for me so I can pay it forward.. Anyways, Thanks for your time if you made it this far and remem ber, with your wife,family,kids...whoever you love,love em like there is no tomorrow, You never know when your last moment will be your first memory.

Thanks again guys and thanks to all who run this site. It is special. I have tried to find something like it in the states I visit because I AM AN ODT JUNKIE and I'm proud

Kelly

Hey, its Father's Day and I figured I do a check up on you, I'm the Guy from Suwanee who gave those Parts for your boy's Memorial rifle. I hope you and the family are doing ok, on this I know must be hard on you day.The Prayer's of my Family and I go out to you and your family. Sometime's we may think that you are alone but the Lord and extended Family is always there for you, in the Future if you finish that Rifle I would love a picture of it. Take care and God-Bless.

First day of summer and prayers continue.What items you looking for at this time?
Hey there Biker13, a friend of mine found a box of antler he picked up for me. I just have to make him something out of one. I think that's more than fair. Now I'm just needing burs and a high speed hand tool I'll need to purchase here in the next couple weeks. I found a doctor to talk to about the PTSD as my Primary Care Physician told me that is what I'm dealing with in no uncertain terms. Holding my broken boy while he passed in my arms is more than I will get through without help according to him. I have come to realize he is right and I gave in.. Some things one just can't do alone..
Thank you for checking buddy. Hope all is well with you. I still have the double barrel I bought from you to work on..just have to get the confidence back to do it. I'll post a pic when I do.. Take care.

Prayers inbound, I have just seen this thread and I'll look when I get home to see if there is anything I could offer.

Thank you for the prayers "hikingthehills", I appreciate the support. Father's Day was pretty horrible so I tried to stay away from the computer for the week leading up to the day. Seems every ad shows the Dad with his little boy and it was more than I could take...so many dreams dashed.
Thanks again so much and the prayers are very welcome...

Hey, its Father's Day and I figured I do a check up on you, I'm the Guy from Suwanee who gave those Parts for your boy's Memorial rifle. I hope you and the family are doing ok, on this I know must be hard on you day.The Prayer's of my Family and I go out to you and your family. Sometime's we may think that you are alone but the Lord and extended Family is always there for you, in the Future if you finish that Rifle I would love a picture of it. Take care and God-Bless.

Yes sir..The family is doing pretty good. Father's Day was just harsh. Every first has been harsh. There were so many ads with Dad's and their babies and when we went out to eat we were seated right by a family of five and the Dad had two babies around Houston's age and seeing their actions ,hearing their "little" voices, and their laughter literally ran me out of the restaurant. I excused myself and went down to a cigar shop I used to frequent when I could smoke them before my accident and surgeries.. I bought one anyway and kinda hid out down there for fifteen minutes to regain my composure and rejoin my family. My wife and daughters took me shooting which was good because Houston was too small to ever get to do that. It was a bittersweet day and I am certainly glad it is behind me.. Thanks again for your help and your thoughts and prayers. I've been practicing the carving part of the rifle and I'm starting to like the results. I only get one shot so it's gotta be right. Madrox sent some really nice pieces that will surely be on there..Everyone has been great and I couldn't begin to express my gratitude.

How's it going kuzcokelly kuzcokelly , y'all doing ok ?

Anything else you are still in need of or looking for ?

SafeCracka, We are getting by, unfortunately the weight of his loss on me got worse instead of better so I am seeking help. Father's Day came with a tremendous amount of pressure and anxiety to make sure my 21 and 18 year old daughters knew they were important and appreciated and still deal with the loss of my son. I read a post from another on a website for Dads with Angels and he has the same family dynamic as possible. His thoughts were the girls would just have to understand and the relationship between a Dad and his son is different than that between a Dad and his daughter. While I agree and I know it is true, especially in loss, I didn't want my girls to feel that way. I thought I was gonna have a freakin heart attack from the pressure I put on myself to keep them from feeling that way..So glad that day is behind me for another year.. What I'm in need of now are mainly burs of all sorts , transfer material to transfer patterns, any type of carving knives and chisels.and a high speed hand piece I'll have to purchase when I save up. My wife keeps running me back and forth to Florida trying to keep me busy but we need to stay put for a bit so I can accomplish what I am trying to. She wants to move down to Palm Beach. I think she's trying to outrun the memories up here but our dreams were to raise him down there and she backed over him in front of the property we bought down there putting a huge cloud over the place. We just got back from two weeks down there and we couldn't bring ourselves to visit the land. I am going to make a cross to mark where he died before we go back to take our daughter down to start college in a few weeks and I'm going to post a pic of it here. Without all of you it wouldn't happen. I need some steel to build it with because I want it to last and be worthy of him and what a great little boy he was..

I do need to figure out where to get wood chunks big enough to carve too if anyone has suggestions. They need to be kiln dried or they'll crack after doing the work on them and I have no idea where to look for that..

Thanks for everything and checking back in on us... Mother's Day was tough, Father's Day was tougher. Next will be his birthday in September..Dreading that one. I was always told boys and girls were different and I argued with everyone... man was I ignorant. Take care and check back in soon and Thanks again...Kelly

Brother, I have always thought of myself as a no BS, combat hardened Marine veteran that had no exposed soft spots and no kinks in my armor. I don't know how I missed this thread till now. I read this thread about 3.5 hrs ago and suddenly I could not focus on my keyboard (something was in my eyes). I can't fathom what you and your wife are going through. My heart goes out to you and your family. If there is ever anything I can do for you need but to ask. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Btw......I have a metric sh*t ton of antlers and they are all yours if you want them and if you will PM me your address I will bring them to you. GOD bless you and your wife.....

Terry

Hey gentlemen, i wanted to give an update to all of you. Checkering a stock is an incredibly tedious difficult task! The carving is going better than the checkering and I have been able to save up and get the trigger conversion kit for the Saiga build. Once I got all the Saiga pieces off and drilled out the necessary rivets to install the new trigger parts you get to a point where you have to touch up the paint. After touching it up I layed out the wood parts sent to me and the look is so much better than the Black plastic that came on the saiga. If anyone wants the black pieces I can send them t you. I found that I am in need of a gas tube and lower hand guard retainer to make forward progress. There is nothing there to hold the wooden hand guards in place after removal of the plastic. Does anyone have an extra one of these they could spare? It would be great if you do and thank you all so much..

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom