• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please recommend me a PISTOL I can tinker with

I've built up a 1911 before scratched the inch so I'm not really interested in that platform for this

I know, I've built up a 1911 before. I sold it because I'm consolidating handguns to just 22 and 9mm and there is something wrong with a 9mm 1911 to me and I can't afford a 2011 or race gun so I'm trying to stick with other metal frames guns. Maybe I'll end up getting a 9mm colt competition.

Yea I understand the consolidation. I sold my .45acp and stuck with 9mm as well. I did pick up a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm though, its mint. The commander size 1911 was originally designed to be chambered in 9mm so I have no qualms about the 1911 in 9mm as long as its a commander size.

I'm still fuzzy on the meaning of "tinkering" in this thread.
If you mean to customize the firearm with aftermarket parts that you will buy and install yourself, with only some minor fitting required, I think you won't find much for any 9mm variant of the 1911 platform. You'll have lots of options for the .45 version.

So you don't want a Glock or any modern tactical Tupperware type pistol?

Hmm... if you go "old school" and get a famous 9mm with a metal frame like the Browning Hi Power (P-35) or S&W 59 or Beretta 92, you'll have a few parts and accessories available, but not much compared to a Glock or 1911.

If you don't care about tacti-cool aftermarket parts that upgrade the gun's performance, how about a popular military surplus pistol in 9mm? Walther P38 maybe?

What about a polymer80 frame and build it up with whatever you want. Then it's the not a glock, but you can take advantage of all the aftermarket that is available for a Glock.

Yea I understand the consolidation. I sold my .45acp and stuck with 9mm as well. I did pick up a Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm though, its mint. The commander size 1911 was originally designed to be chambered in 9mm so I have no qualms about the 1911 in 9mm as long as its a commander size.

If I can find a railed commander in 9mm for in my budget that's what I'd get they are just few and far between though.

I'm still fuzzy on the meaning of "tinkering" in this thread.
If you mean to customize the firearm with aftermarket parts that you will buy and install yourself, with only some minor fitting required, I think you won't find much for any 9mm variant of the 1911 platform. You'll have lots of options for the .45 version.

So you don't want a Glock or any modern tactical Tupperware type pistol?

Hmm... if you go "old school" and get a famous 9mm with a metal frame like the Browning Hi Power (P-35) or S&W 59 or Beretta 92, you'll have a few parts and accessories available, but not much compared to a Glock or 1911.

If you don't care about tacti-cool aftermarket parts that upgrade the gun's performance, how about a popular military surplus pistol in 9mm? Walther P38 maybe?

Yes sorry. Wrote this think up at like 11pm after a very long day of work. I just want something that I can do all the installs myself, and I've got the t shirt so to say from 1911's so I'm trying not to look there.

No tactical or Tupperware, wood grips is ideal. At this point I am looking at the high power, 92FS, and the SP01.
You can build a 2011 for around $1400-$1500 in 9mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was in the budget I totally would. Played with some at the NRA so and they are SLICK.

If you're open to .22 then the Ruger MK platform is pretty friendly to tinkering.

Very open to it and it is on the list. Just not for this one. Going to get one that matches the build up of my 10/22.

Browning buckmark has a lot of aftermarket parts if that's what you mean by tinkering.

How does it fair compared to the Mk's?

CZ + Cajun Gun Works = amazing

Very seriously considering this would like to shoot one first though never shot a cz

Ruger GP100 or 101. Not 9mm but you can tinker the **** out of them

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm just trying to stick with 9mm and 22lr at this time for logistical reasons.

Back
Top Bottom