• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
275   0
Reaction score
In an effort to get away from outside advertising (and to stay afloat :D ) I'm having to consider some very major changes to how the site raises money. In the past I've relied very heavily on outside ad networks to supply our ads to us, but in the last year the landscape has changed and a lot of gun forums are having a very rough go of it, including us.

One idea I am seriously considering is charging $1 a month to post ads in the classifieds for non-supporters and leave it free for supporters.

So for $1 a month you could post 5 listings per category per day (Just like it is now). Would also offer it for $10 a year if you didn't want to become a supporter and just wanted the classifieds, which would make it an even cheaper $0.83 per month.

Do you think this would kill the site? My opinion has always been that charging money would kill the site, but I feel like $1 a month for non-supporters is cheap enough that people wouldn't leave over it. If this change was enacted and we didn't lose any traffic I would be able to shut off outside ads. (which would be amazing and make the site run faster, we would never have malware or popups again and could remove all outside ad tracking)

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, especially non-supporters. Any posts that "supporter shame" anyone will be removed to keep this on topic.

Thanks!

Killed GON, thats how we got here.I was a lifetime supporter but had my badge removed cause the holier than thou mods wouldnt stay the **** out of my business.So am I still a lifetime supporter?
Not entirely true, we got here because they closed their classifieds completely. And when they came back they wanted $1 an ad, not a $1 a month. And we're bigger now than they were at that time.

I think it's well worth one frigging dollar to post five adds. But I do think it would hurt the site some. Everyone is always looking for something for free and if a supporter commitment is to much to swallow then I feel some of those people will also choke on that one dollar a month.

I don't believe it's a bad idea, I just think the gimmie dats would revolt .

In an effort to get away from outside advertising (and to stay afloat :D ) I'm having to consider some very major changes to how the site raises money. In the past I've relied very heavily on outside ad networks to supply our ads to us, but in the last year the landscape has changed and a lot of gun forums are having a very rough go of it, including us.

One idea I am seriously considering is charging $1 a month to post ads in the classifieds for non-supporters and leave it free for supporters.

So for $1 a month you could post 5 listings per category per day (Just like it is now). Would also offer it for $10 a year if you didn't want to become a supporter and just wanted the classifieds, which would make it an even cheaper $0.83 per month.

Do you think this would kill the site? My opinion has always been that charging money would kill the site, but I feel like $1 a month for non-supporters is cheap enough that people wouldn't leave over it. If this change was enacted and we didn't lose any traffic I would be able to shut off outside ads. (which would be amazing and make the site run faster, we would never have malware or popups again and could remove all outside ad tracking)

I'd love to hear everyone's opinions, especially non-supporters. Any posts that "supporter shame" anyone will be removed to keep this on topic.

Thanks!
IMnotsoHO Charging for ads is a very bad idea... I personally don't mind the outside advertising

I dont post anything for sale,but,if I did I dont do credit cards or anything of that sort. How would a person pay that money if they were like me and wanted to cell something?
Would have to mail in a $10 check or Taco Bell gift card and I could turn it on manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom