• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not get the animosity around this and certainly do not get the rants about paying $1 IF (big IF) you want to list more than 3 listings a month.....

I just hit 5 years as a member and in that time I have gotten warnings, a couple of points, sold/traded/bought guns, ammo, knives, a car one time and met some great people. In 5 year I have had exactly 1 bad experience and it was simply a whacko deciding to PM me how crappy my item was and what a bad and unChristian person I am for selling his buddy a gun. 5 years, LOTS of good things and only one bad encounter. Compared to other sites where there is no moderation or feedback whatsoever.

For me (YMMV) it is worth it and bottom line here - most of us are capitalists - and realize that anything of value has some cost. SO the way I see it you pay one of 3 ways:

1. "Pay" by being limited to 3 listings a month
2. Pay $1 (less than a bottle of coke) for unlimited listings
3. Become a supporter

If you don't like the options or ODT "has no value" to you - shut up and move on.

woj.gif

Dont wanta turn this into a MOD BEING UNFAIR derail...but I have been, as I've seen others, singled out out in threads and sen others(mod buddies) get to ridicule others and it not get noticed..and I know a couple of very fair mods.. but I wont call anybody out.. but I do really like this site and that's why I joined,just trying to support what I enjoy

He mentioned AR15.com, not me. I simply gave my opinion of it. I use a lot of sites, I don't think any are as clean with as robust as a feedback system as this one.

I'm not sure how a mod could be unfair. We have rules on this site, you can read them in print. If you violate them, a mod comes after you, if you don't, they leave you alone. That simple.

I'm co-founder/co-owner of ODT and I've received mod warnings for too many listings in the classifieds. I don't tell them to get lost, I abide by the rules like every one else.

Mods hurting your feelings doesn't count as unfair. They certainly put up with a ton of crap and don't ban people for getting their feelings hurt.

I've found that those that are generally here to contribute to a community love the place. If you are a troll that likes to stir up issues and talk about others to make yourself feel significant, you probably won't like it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wow again.
So, I do an obvious "tongue in cheek" post of your reply and apparently you got your panties in a wad. Your opinion is your opinion, and I have mine. I had fun typing the post. If you got offended, dang man, kind of sensitive aren't you. You called me a troll, which has on occasion, caused a post like yours to be removed. I believe I read where calling someone a troll, was against the "spirit" of the rules or something like that. You say I like to stir up issues, yet as one of the owners of this site, as you have now told everyone many times, you leave up a thread that is nothing more than a dumping ground for complainers and whiners. BTW, you are wrong on one issue, I don't need this site or this thread to feel significant. I would argue your continuing to tell everyone of your status probably is more a need to be significant than anything I would ever do. Maybe it would be best if you do as the other owner has done, don't talk to me.

My post was "tongue in cheek", this one isn't.

Wow again.
So, I do an obvious "tongue in cheek" post of your reply and apparently you got your panties in a wad. Your opinion is your opinion, and I have mine. I had fun typing the post. If you got offended, dang man, kind of sensitive aren't you. You called me a troll, which has on occasion, caused a post like yours to be removed. I believe I read where calling someone a troll, was against the "spirit" of the rules or something like that. You say I like to stir up issues, yet as one of the owners of this site, as you have now told everyone many times, you leave up a thread that is nothing more than a dumping ground for complainers and whiners. BTW, you are wrong on one issue, I don't need this site or this thread to feel significant. I would argue your continuing to tell everyone of your status probably is more a need to be significant than anything I would ever do. Maybe it would be best if you do as the other owner has done, don't talk to me.

My post was "tongue in cheek", this one isn't.

I'm not offended at all.

I didn't call you a troll, it's interesting you projected that onto yourself. You honed in on "I'd rather" in the $100 bill post but missed my "If's" in the troll post.

I don't make the decision on when this thread ends.

My status is on my badge all the time, I referenced it to provide proof mods are not unfair, even to those who co-founded the site. Doesn't get any more fair than that does it?

You need to go back and re-read my post as an outsider, not someone who is boiling up inside because you got responded to and then let me know who's panties are in a wad.

Did I read this or dream it in my sleep...

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Reading the ODT
One idea I am seriously considering is charging $10 a month to READ ads in the classifieds for non-supporters and leave it at $5 a month for supporters.

Just stayin' with the "tongue in cheek" theme of this thread!!

Dont wanta turn this into a MOD BEING UNFAIR derail...but I have been, as I've seen others, singled out out in threads and sen others(mod buddies) get to ridicule others and it not get noticed..and I know a couple of very fair mods.. but I wont call anybody out.. but I do really like this site and that's why I joined,just trying to support what I enjoy

I've witnessed members running down a member that was banned in the open forum.
I would have thought that calling someone a jerk would have not been permitted.

I've also witnessed a member gettin infracted for quoting a post and posting the same thing, yet their post was removed and the member banned. Only after a Report was done 3 weeks later was the original post post removed.

There are definitely different rules for different players.
Dirty cops? There's no such thing. lol
Good ole boy system, doesn't exist. lol
I have noticed that people with authority seldom like to be called out or be held accountable for their wrong doings.

The easiest way to win a debate is by silencing you opponent.

There's a good chance this post will be removed and my banishment soon after. Don't ask me how I know.

I keep hearing people say how "easy" it is to get banned and how mods are out to get them and not trying to seem like a butt-kisser but in my experience I cannot imagine how serious an infraction has to be to get that.

When the religious debate forum got crazy a while back I posted a couple of sarcastic retorts to someone that everybody knows if you were following it. I got a warning and I think I got a 24 hour ban from it. Cool. That's reasonable.

Heck I am still working off my 2 points for creating a second account and clowning around for a day - just 2 points!

How badly behaved do you have to be to get banned or banished....no arguing, I just don't understand the threads around "this mod is after me" but I also haven't walked a mile in anyone's shoes here.

At some point everybody needs to comprehend that ODT is a site owned by a couple of people - who clearly identify themselves. So they get to set the rules.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting but I am over the whole "how dare you charge me a dollar!!!! This should be free" when the site belongs to someone. I ain't letting people in my house to do what they want. I set the conditions for what I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom