• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PMag feed lips cracking

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
Always thought this was a bit of a fabricated issue..until today. Had my first encounter with it on two different magazines. These are issued mags loaded with issued ammo, been loaded for well over a year, bouncing around in a “go bag” in the trunk of a patrol car, hot summers, cold winters, etc. I posted a thread a little bit back regarding inspecting gear/magazines/etc and this is why.

It hasn’t completely failed yet, but rounds keep popping out at any little bump. It’s not “volcanoing” rounds yet, but won’t be much longer.

46D9C594-BB33-4EE9-A662-882865F35860.jpeg

Magpul always claimed the feed lips were designed to have complete failure at the first sight of an issue/crack so that it could be detected and culled. So this is interesting. FWIW, I have a about a 5:1 ratio of Lancers to Magpuls and have yet to have an issue and really do like the metal feed lips.

This is only moderately acceptable for dudes who check their gear weekly - otherwise you end up in a gun fight with broken mags that seemed fine a year ago when you last checked them. I am a fan of magpul - but I have personally gone back to the plain Jane vanilla aluminum G.I. Mags for serious use because I think they are superior to all other things out there - they don’t look as sexy.....

But sexy is as sexy does......

Just my two cents - rock on with whatever you choose.

Back
Top Bottom