PMR-30 for $550

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
275   0
Reaction score
Not really a deal, but I saw a PMR-30 at Fort Knox Pawn in Douglasville yesterday for $550. It was weird, I'm not used to seeing those things on the shelf.

Just a friendly reminder. If anyone purchases a PMR-30, make sure you check with Kel-Tec to confirm that it has the new barrel. They suspended shipment of the pistols for a while to change the barrel twist to 1:11 in order to reduce the potential for keyholing. Replacement barrels will be provided for older pistols at no charge. They don't even need your old barrel back.

I've heard that term, "keyholing", a few times now. What exactly does that mean?

To make a long story short...due to incorrect rifling for bullet weight or worn lands and groves the bullet basically tumbles at some point after leaving the barrel. This tumbling causes the round to impact the target side on or off skew instead of nose on as it should.

i946.photobucket.com_albums_ad310_Riahw_keyholing.jpg

If I remember correctly it can also be caused by a muzzle device not lined up properly. I heard some of the century ak-74s with the big muzzle brake thing would keyhole when the round hit the muzzle device leaving the barrell. I could be wrong though

If I remember correctly it can also be caused by a muzzle device not lined up properly. I heard some of the century ak-74s with the big muzzle brake thing would keyhole when the round hit the muzzle device leaving the barrell. I could be wrong though

Wish it was unique to the Century 74's. I paid about 2X what a CAI 74 was going for to have one custom built by one of the best outfits in the business Don't want to trash them - the workmanship was amazing, but it always keyholed. Always. Without fail. Regardless of what ammo I tried. I am officially soured on the 5.45X39.

Kel tec will send you anew barrel free of charge and you can keep the old one but has since proved that the keyholing was only with CCI 40 grain bullets and only on some guns. Mine never keyholed but they sent me a new barrel anyway and 2 spare buffers free of charge within a week of calling them. the way to tell if you have the old barrel is to check and see if you have the fluted barrel which is the old style the new barrels are not fluted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom