• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pms on Guns

I tried to buy something from a member here, but wanted to email contact info rather than PM. I have TERRIBLE cell service at work, and ODT is on the "Banned" list for company internet, since evil "weapons" might be seen there. So essentially, I have no way to PM or check the site during the work day. I can get and send emails with abandon, however.

He wouldn't do it, preferring to use PM's to exchange info, presumably so he could contact the moderators if I didn't show up or something. I had to tell him I would only be able to contact him once a day, with really no way to tell him I couldn't make an arranged meeting if something came up, thus increasing the risk of "he said he would show but didn't". He still wouldn't go for it. I was disappointed, but it's his item to sell, he can handle it the way he wants.

Anyway, I guess there's enough of the ghosting going around that the whole idea of contacting the moderators doesn't really hold water.

A few years back I sold a pistol through the site. Apparently I priced it low; the first response was "I'll take it!". Told the 2nd guy that contacted me it was SPM; he offered me $50 more than the selling price. I told him he was 2nd in line because I'd already given the first buyer my word. I try to keep my word; not everyone tries very hard.

IMHO if you agree to a price and have a date/time to meet and then you get ghosted or they back out of the deal that would be grounds for a negative rating. On occasion when I am wanting something that is a ways away or a longer wait till I can get somewhere to purchase an item, I give them the option to sell it in between with no hard feelings.

Pretty simple.

I've had overwhelming positive experiences when buying and selling on ODT. Usually buying but I have been known to sell some stuff here and there. Never been let down, and have had some longer process purchases but always turned out great!

I have had a lot in last 6 months that never acknowledged my pms reference buying a firearm. I reckon some were brought up differently than I was and two of them had lot of feedback! For the most part everyone is nice and helpful . They acknowledge with I can’t go that low or will give a little break on asking price !

Am I the only person that post a gun for sale and I get several people wanting to purchase the gun through PMs. We agree to a price and boom….. They completely disappear.
They never respond to messages or anything again. I’ve had this happen several times lately.
Just the ATF testing the waters.

That's for sure. Just had it happen Thursday. Told guy I would "take it" and when I could meet. He gave me a location to meet him. Then ten minutes later, I get "sorry I just sold it."
I could never do that. Once I commit to a deal I follow through.

I could never do that. Once I commit to a deal I follow through.
I had a longtime member with perfect feedback I’ve bought from before ghost me a couple weeks ago. Very disappointed in him. I should leave him a negative. I turned down other offers, drove half hour each way in that tornado watch to meet closer to his house, it was supposed to be partial cash and part trade which he offered. When I got there he looked at the item and said he wanted to buy it the following day for full cash instead of the trade and cash as he didn’t have the full cash on him. Said we’d arrange a time the next day, ghosted me. I don’t understand the lack of courtesy, it takes more time and energy to come up with a bs story than to just man up and say you know what, I changed my mind.

Participation trophy society this country has become.

Back
Top Bottom