• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

**Pointless paracord**

I use it every hunting season. I may use it to raise and lower my rifle and gear if I'm using a climbing stand, I've used it to secure two deer to the 4-wheeler the day I got a "twofer", I've used it to mark trails, etc.

My oldest son made a rifle sling for a 10/22, it's comfortable.

You can get 1000' spool off Amazon, and some of it is "mil-spec", just contact the seller and ask if it's commercial or has the yellow striped strand.

This may be no longer 100% correct, but the old adage was (from another web site):

"The observations below can be easily made with the naked eye, and ALL FOUR of the following requirements MUST be met for Paracord to be “Mil-Spec” rather than just “commercial” paracord.

(1) 7 or 8 or 9 INNER STRANDS – count the numbers of the INNER STRANDS in your paracord. MilSpec C-5040H requires that Type III Paracord MUST have 7 or 8 or 9 Inner Strands. If your paracord has 6 or fewer Inner Strands, it is definitely not Mil-Spec Paracord.

(2) 3 INSIDE STRANDS – Count the numbers of INSIDE Strands that make up the 7 or 8 or 9 INNER Strands referred to above. MilSpec C-5040H requires that each of the 7 or 8 or 9 Inner Strands be made up of exactly 3 Inside Strands. Commercial paracord very often has INNER Strands that are made up of only 2 INSIDE Strands. If your Paracord doesn’t have exactly 3 INSIDE Strands, it is definitely not Mil-Spec Paracord.

(3) Twisted Strands – Observe the INNER and INSIDE Strands of your Paracord closely, again. All of the INNER and INSIDE strands MUST be twisted to be in compliance with MilSpec C-5040H. Some commercial Paracord has straight, rather than twisted INNER and / or INSIDE Strands, or even a combination of straight and twisted Strands. If ALL of the INNER and INSIDE Strands of your Paracord are not twisted, your Paracord is definitely not compliant with the MilSpec.

(4) Colored Manufacturer’s ID Marker Strand – Inspect closely, again, the Inner Strands of your Paracord. This strand is also sometimes referred to as a “Manufacturer’s ID Strand,” a “Colored Marker Strand,” a “Colored ID Marker Strand, or even simply an “ID Marker Strand.” The Mil-Spec requires that every manufacturer of true Mil-Spec C-5040H compliant Paracord include this twisted COLORED Manufacturer’s Identification Marker Strand in all of their Paracord."

The truth is that a lot of commercial stuff can't be trusted. But real paracord will save your butt.

Last time I went camping I used it because the straps for my hammock were not quite long enough to reach from tree to tree. I have used it to tie up tarps to stay out of the rain and also to hold lanterns off of tree branches. I used it last week to set up a deer feeder because my bungee strap wasn't long enough to reach all the way around a tree. I have also used it to pull a Prius out of a mudhole. I had to double it over about 10 times but it worked. I also have had to tie down furniture before I started keeping ratchet straps in the truck. If I can think long enough I know I've used it for more stuff than that. 550 cord is awesome and I keep at least 100ft of it in the truck all the time.
Almost forgot, also messing around one day me and my daughter used it and made a bow drill and after sweating away for over an hour was able to be able to produce fire, it was only in the driveway but it's just nice being able to know it could be done. I have also used it attached to a short stick and tied around a deers neck to pull it out of the woods.

Um...
-ridge line and tarp tie outs for sure.
-Lashing 3 poles for tripods (for my camp chair and over my fire pit)
-spring poles for fishing (add 10' of 10# fishing line to the end)
-lashing my camp table together (made from sticks around the camp)
-Hanging my food bag over a tree limb
-anchor line for my canoe
-great boot laces
-rubbed with pine sap for a bow drill (but just messing around not necessary) for fire starting
-lashing midget strippers (lol)
-

I can use the crap out of it when/if if find time to camp ever again (I have a month old baby)
You made some getting shooting sticks out of it when we were sighting in rifles!

Almost forgot, also messing around one day me and my daughter used it and made a bow drill and after sweating away for over an hour was able to be able to produce fire, it was only in the driveway but it's just nice being able to know it could be done. I have also used it attached to a short stick and tied around a deers neck to pull it out of the woods.

I'm impressed!!! I would have never thought to try and make a fire from concrete (driveway) You sir, certainly think "out of the box". :becky:
Changing my book title to 102 things to do with paracord.
I should probably put in a disclaimer that ALL vehicles should be moved first?
resources0.news.com.au_images_2014_12_08_1227148_350500_2ea6ca42_7e78_11e4_b100_1c48041bb743.jpg

I'm impressed!!! I would have never thought to try and make a fire from concrete (driveway) You sir, certainly think "out of the box". :becky:
Changing my book title to 102 things to do with paracord.
I should probably put in a disclaimer that ALL vehicles should be moved first?
resources0.news.com.au_images_2014_12_08_1227148_350500_2ea6ca42_7e78_11e4_b100_1c48041bb743.jpg
Survival is about adapting and overcoming! :becky:

I understand your point, but carrying a gun is very different as it may be used to protect myself or loved ones. Paracord will never be served in any life or death scenario i could fathom.
Fathom harder.
I replaced the dog tag style chains on my neck knives with para cord keep some in my GHB.lash a bed roll tothe bag with it and wrap anything I can with it. Uses? So many possible that I would consider it foolish NOT to have some with me. But then, I also keep multiple methods of starting fires, carrying and purifying water, several days food, hatchet, knives and guns with me at all times. "Prepared " is in the eye of the beholder. Prep as you see fit and I'll do the same.

Fathom harder.
I replaced the dog tag style chains on my neck knives with para cord keep some in my GHB.lash a bed roll tothe bag with it and wrap anything I can with it. Uses? So many possible that I would consider it foolish NOT to have some with me. But then, I also keep multiple methods of starting fires, carrying and purifying water, several days food, hatchet, knives and guns with me at all times. "Prepared " is in the eye of the beholder. Prep as you see fit and I'll do the same.

Yep and I do the same in my BOB, GHB, and INCH bag along with multiple methods of the same things you mentioned. Lots of practical uses im sure, but to say it may help me survive?

Yep and I do the same in my BOB, GHB, and INCH bag along with multiple methods of the same things you mentioned. Lots of practical uses im sure, but to say it may help me survive?
I enjoy making reverse wrap cordage from all kinds of stuff but if I had to make all of the string I have used most projects wouldn't have happened

You need cordage wether it's muletape, 550, bank line or just jute twine

You made some getting shooting sticks out of it when we were sighting in rifles!

That was fun, I have more "sighting in" that needs doin

Back
Top Bottom