• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

**Pointless paracord**

On a fishing trip that included a long ride to nowhere in my 72 International Scout, the throttle cable broke. I tied para cord to the throttle linkage, routed it under the steering column and into the cab through the vent window. Pull the cord for more throttle, ease off for less, close the vent window on to the cord...... Cruise control.

Yep and I do the same in my BOB, GHB, and INCH bag along with multiple methods of the same things you mentioned. Lots of practical uses im sure, but to say it may help me survive?
Yeah I guess you are right. All you need to survive is food and water even shelter is really a luxury. So no need for paracord . Or a gun, you can find roots and plants. No need to trap or shoot animals. And no need for a knife, teeth can cut and chew. Heck, a broken rock can sort of cut. And nature's full of creeks, rainwater pools, etc. No need for anything to carry or purify water. And who needs fire?

I guess, when you get right to it, we don't need ANYTHING to help us survive. We just that bad. Well, some of us.

Now, me, without carrying a ton on my back, I'll need shelter, food, water, fire, and as much comfort and convenience as I can muster. Not to mention minimizing the niggling little worries that can lead to forgetting vital basics. Dieing because I couldn't find fishing line, or because i got rained on and caught a cold because I had no way to rig a rain fly, or for any of a million ridiculous reasons that a few feet of paracord could have prevented is just too short sighted.

Can you beat back a horde of zombies with a yard of paracord? Probably not. Can you die from amillion things that a few feet of paracord could have prevented? Absolutely.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. I say that survival is a MOTHER....Better get inventive real damn fast.

Probly won't catch on though lol.

Why is there so much paracord crap? Braceltes, rifle slings, etc.....

Do you see yourself even possibly being in a position where you would need it for a life or death situation?

Im sure there are many purposes for it, but essential for survival.......doubtful! Lots are marketed as SHTF.

Maybe all those folks that used to braid folks hair back in the 90's at Six Flags needed something else to do and found this to market?
I carry some in my Kayak and in our hiking gear along with plastic sheeting. Makes an easy shelter.

I do agree with you on the tacticrap being pushed, though.

Ignorance is bliss.....

I hope to never need a bunch of crap I have. I'd say a lot of the folks on here have some degree of "prepping tendencies". I know I do and it seems to get worse the older I get. While I don't have any sort fall out shelter or mountain cabin off the grid, I do have a bug out bag. A couple shtf weapons. All the ammo I can store and I still reload as much as possible. I have lets just say more than a couple guns. Why, well why not? This world is crazy and getting worse. I say be ready for ANYTHING, and ready to protect EVERYTHING.

Back
Top Bottom