• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Police scanners

Al Capone

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
Any of you fellas know of a decent handheld police scanner? Not too pricey either. It would be for an average joe also lol, not too high tech to use as well.

It's gonna depend on the type of radio system you are wanting to listen in on.

There are analog systems, digital systems, convientional systems, trunked systems, ect...

Also, be sure that the radio system in your area isn't encrypted before you buy a scanner, or you will just be wasting your money. I don't know of any scanner that can monitor encrypted transmissions.

https://www.radioreference.com/

Go to this site, and click on "Databases".

Then you can search your area on the map and see what type of system the police/EMT/fire use in your location

Last edited:

There are analog systems, digital systems, convientional systems, trunked systems, ect...

Also, be sure that the radio system in your area isn't encrypted before you buy a scanner, or you will just be wasting your money. I don't know of any scanner that can monitor encrypted transmissions.

https://www.radioreference.com/

Go to this site, and click on "Databases".

Then you can search your area on the map and see what type of system the police/EMT/fire use in your location

How does this work. I went to database and GA then Paulding Co. And took a screen shot of the frequencies. I'm new to this but interested. How do you input the frequency and what handheld scanner is decent and where can you buy one? Not trying to hijack but wanting info to.

Exactly. If you're in an Analog area, you can pickup a Baofeng for less than $50 on Amazon and program for your area.

Digital and cheap scanner do not go together.

The "Scanner Radio" app excellent for listening while mobile. You can also setup alerts for feeds to let you know when something is happening.

Back
Top Bottom