• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

pollishing media

I started throwing a used dryer sheet in my tumbler with each load of brass--it works great. I am not as picky as some may be about the shine. I do not use any polishing compound and run the brass for about 6 hours, take it out and load for 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, in 9, 40 and 45--no issues with reliability. The dryer sheet seems to keep the media clean by catching the dirt.

I got it at Harbor Freight in Athens next to the Home Depot. When you enter the store go to the back right hand corner and you'll see the tumblers and media there. I bought one of the 2 drum tumblers meant for tumbling rocks, it tumbles slowly and can run for hours on end. With two drums I can tumble about 350 9mm brass at one time. I run it for about 4 hours and everything comes out good.

I have the single drum HF rock tumber. I wet tumble the brass.

For pistol brass, I tumble with the primer in. For rifle brass, I do my size/deprime and trimming first, then tumble, so the primer pockets get clean, too. I fill the drum about 80% full of brass (about 120 .223 cases). Then fill with cold water, just enough to cover the brass. A splash of lemon juice, and a couple of drops of lemon Joy dish soap. Tumble anywhere from an hour (clean) to overnight (like new shiny). Rinse the brass in a collander, dump it on a towle to dry for a couple of days. If I need to load it the same day, I put the brass in a toaster oven set on low for 20 minutes.

I find this much less messy than dry media tumbling. It helps to have a sink in the workshop.

rbstern--

I had to try the wet method you described - thanks -- it worked great -- I used my kids' rock polishing tumbler -- sweet for small quantities -- I fit about 175 9mm or 25 rifles cartridges.

For those knowledgable about using different media (as in what to use / not to use), the following hyperelink might be of interest:

http://www.shorinternational.com/TumblingMedia.htm

Personally, I have absolutley no idea of the merits of using most of the stuff describe therein ... but I'm always interested in ideas freom someone else that has
spent their time learning a "better, more effective way"!

Corn cob is better for rough cleaning, walnut is better for polishing. I've used both, and they both work fine.

There are mixed schools of thought on this. Some will tell you tumbling loaded rounds can break the powder down into smaller granules and potentially affect the burn rate, others will tell you they've done it for years with no problems. I've never done it, just because I can't see any possible benefit to it. I reload in bulk because I shoot a lot, I couldn't care less if the rounds aren't shiny.

Actually, from a historical perspective; while brushing out cases was common, tumbling, vibrating and cleaning cases is a relatively new phenomenon. When I first got started in reloading in the mid-70’s, I don’t recall any of today’s got-to-haves even being available. So, for probably 100 years, reloading was safely performed with most of the single stage presses and dies you see today, but with “unsanitary” but quite usable and reliable fired brass! I used to brush, soap and flush mine, and I lived to tell about it.

That said, I like clean and shiny brass … but I’m not concerned that shining it makes it any safer!

As for Tumble / Vibe loaded ammo: I am concerned that it can break down the coatings on modern powders and possibly damage primers ... I deem it to be an unsafe / unnecessary procedure.

2 Cents worth from and old F@@t!

Last edited:
Here is a little tip that should help with stained range brass. I use 3 to 4 oz of real lemon juice to a gallon of water. Pretty much lemonaid without the sugar. Put your dirty brass in and shake it around then let it sit over night. Pour off the lemonaid and rinse and let dry. It will remove most if not all of the stains plus reduce your tumbling time.

I finaly have all my reloading gear. Now all I need is the media for the tumbler. I heard that you can buy the corn cobb media and mybe other types of media as well at pet stores and feed stores, is this true?

Most of my brass is fairly clean but some of it is almost black from sitting outside at the range for a very long time. Is it worth my time and money to try to clean the extreemly dark brass or should I just throw it away?

Thanks in advance for your help.

try Harbor Freight's Walnut shells.

For those knowledgable about using different media (as in what to use / not to use), the following hyperelink might be of interest:

http://www.shorinternational.com/TumblingMedia.htm

Personally, I have absolutley no idea of the merits of using most of the stuff describe therein ... but I'm always interested in ideas freom someone else that has
spent their time learning a "better, more effective way"!

I contacted SHOR INTERNATIONAL with the following and got the indicated response below. It appears that the standard flash-hole is .080 or a little over 2mm.
So, 1mm media should work with no problems (other than the "Orange Peel" effect mentioned below.
No one seems to recommend adding rouge to ceramic media (as it is already aggressive enough!)

QUESTION:

You've probably gotten this question from others before, so your patience is appreciated!

I belong to a couple of internet forums based in Georgia that have several thousand firearms enthusiast members. Many also reload their own ammunition and an important step for many of them is running their cases through a Viberator (mostly) while some (few) use tumblers. Some simply wash the cases in hot soapy water, and some viberate / tumble them in hot soapy water. However, most viberate the cases in either walnut or corn litter. One major problem with most litter applications is particles getting stuck in the primer flash hole!

All would like recommendations on cost / time-effective media that could be reused. While stainless steel rods are effective, fast and don't seem to get stuck in the flash holes, they are fairly expensive. On the other hand, ceramic balls may be the answer, but what size?

Recommendations on polishing grit would also be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your kind attention to my request.

RESPONSE:

this is a problem with both walnut shell and corn cob media. ceramic balls will do the job, but they are not as gentle as corn cob or walnut shell and may impart a slight orange peel effect on your metal. you will not be able to see this effect with the naked eye, but may see under magnification. steel shot will definitely leave an orange peel effect.

all sizes of ceramic balls will do the job. choose a size that will not get stuck in your crevices, but will not be too big to get into all the little areas.

blaniard marshall, tech support

Back
Top Bottom