• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pond fishing. What is your approach?

almost lost my hand to a big ### snapping turtle using this method......proceed with caution!

agreed

learned in pacific missouri with my grandpaw murowski in the 70's . . .
step on their shell (gramps job)
pull the rope (skinny kids job) rope cuz we was juggin catfish on the missouri
careful you dont slip boy you'll end up his last meal
gramps would bring the hatchet down on his neck
we would cut off the legs and skewer em to be roasted over the fire
turtle soup was then in the cards

we were bringing in huge cats like almost as big as a skinny 8 year old
hooks were huge
therefore turtles were huge
had a tree limb with a gutter nail in the end for letting the cats have it

one of the best summers ever!

if anyone is curious . . . gramps was Irish!

Zoom Trick Worm (black or June bug in color for murky water) with no weight. Just twitch it a few times and then let it sink for a few seconds.
Topwater frog for early and late.
Small bream or shiner under a float.

My brother uses that trick worm and it works!

Me, I love a jitterbug in the middle of the night. You can't see a damn thing so it's fun as hell when those bass hit! All you can hear is the frogs and crickets, you can hear the jitterbug...then you hear the strike!

View attachment 1665150 I am out pond fishing today. Kinda murky. Lots of turtles so that tells me they have a good source. Not much in the way of any action.

So- what bait do you like? Where do you like to fish? Bank? On the water? Just use top water baits? Bobber and a worm?
What I do for pond fishing is just walk around the whole pond as many times as I can while trying a bunch of different lures and baits. When I find something that works i'll keep using it and narrowing down my options. Good Luck!

If worms don’t work,
Crickets are good with bream.

Catfish love some hot dogs!
In the ponds I'm used to fishing, crickets catch 20 times more bluegill and various pan fish than worms. I agree about the hotdogs.....but don't like telling my secrets. Never heard of using bacon but it's really the same salty brine that brings um to hotdogs.

If your ever fishing in a pond for catfish that are used to occasionally getting fish feed thrown to them. Try this....chew a piece of un-colored gum like juicy fruit or spearmint. Mold the gum into a ball on the hook and fish it shallow with a bobber. An elderly lady who worked at a state lake in Bama showed me this trick when I was a kid. No joking....it works.

Man small pond fishing is the way to go. Especially if there isn't much pressure. I've seen some hawgs come out of subdivision ponds. Keep is simple with natural baits like a rapala shad rap, top water frog, or a green pumpkin trick work or even a black lizard.

Back
Top Bottom