• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pond fishing. What is your approach?

fish some underwater structure. If there is none, stop fishing and start throwing stuff in the water. Old trees, blow up a bridge and haul the cement over there.......fish like structure.

My preference is chicken gizzards (the livers are too soft) smeared with a stink bait. I usually fish deeper for catfish with a float. Usually works good...but some days they just ain't bitin'.

In my younger day I Bass fished a lot of ponds. There's already a ton of good advice in this thread for tactics, but another aspect I learned was stealth. Walking up normally to a pond edge sends out a lot of vibration that Bass can pick up in their lateral lines (not to mention they can probably see you in many cases if they are close to the bank).

Once this dawned on me and I started walking up very softly to the bank, staying as low as possible, I started seeing my catch rates go up significantly. Walk softly to the edge, stay low if your back can take it, and make as little noise as possible. If there is cover you can hide behind and not impact your cast, use it!

Back
Top Bottom