• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Poppin Tags at Goodwill - What is your best FIND EVER.

Salvation Army, Goodwill and the Habitat stores can be aggravating with their pricing when you consider they obtained it for FREE. I saw an antique solid oak table that I would typically buy and refinish but not for the $200.00 they wanted.

Salvation Army, Goodwill and the Habitat stores can be aggravating with their pricing when you consider they obtained it for FREE. I saw an antique solid oak table that I would typically buy and refinish but not for the $200.00 they wanted.
Yeah Goodwill is the worst of the three about gouging for their donated goods. We went to a car auction at the main Goodwill in Macon last year. Bad part for us was they did it around mid February. There were fools with fists full of Rapid Refund dollars willing to way over payy for mystery cars. But their reservation prices on the cars was already too high to begin with.

The thing I hate about Goodwill is the fact that they either won't negotiate prices, or they are extremely hesitant to do so. I recently discussed the fact that they are running a 100% FREE inventory with one of the managers and I managed to talk my way into a slight discount on some stuff.

Locally operated Thrift stores are far more reasonable when it comes to actually working deals, specifically, church or mission-oriented stores.

I frequently treasure hunt for ebay resales, and I've won more than I've lost at Goodwill, but sometimes they're obviously smoking crackrock on their prices. I haven't had any successes like the ones listed here, but I've had a ton of small wins ($3 in, $30 dollars sold, that sort of thing). Most of my online sales are low risk low return, but I move a lot of volume.

There was a stack of framed wall hangings, 90% were of Dale Earnhardt, but the very back was a huge frame of a really nice forest painting. The frame was in great shape and I think I paid $5 at Habitat. Got home and saw there was a number, like 252 or 1000, and the artist's name. Looked it up and it was a $300 print in a custom frame. Still have it.

The same Habitat for Humanity had a crap load of old (OLD) golf clubs once, like a pro-shop or collector just dumped them off. Several had tags that read "(Brand Name) club used by (famous golfer) in 1954". Some of the names I recognized, but most I had no clue. And they were old brands like Dunlop(?) or Dayton(?). So a golf fanatic friend ran in and bought a bunch that were left and eBay'ed 'em for hundreds.

Favorite 'flips' while 'poppin tags' (note: all these items were purchased from knowledgeable antiques dealers):
upload_2016-1-11_12-57-0.png

Just went there on Saturday, brought some boxing gloves for $5. Was hoping they had Mike Tyson signature on them but all they said was Everlast

Be careful with the boxing gloves.
I've seen many times where the best boxer was not the best guy in a street fight.
This happens with both adults and children, but especially with young boys.
(They can "play" with them, but an adult needs to ref)

Just sayin ....

I met up with @Gunsite Grad to make a deal in Canton & had my daughter with me. We stopped @ the GoodWill there & sitting right in front was a Power Wheels mustang with charger & NEW battery. Of course she fell in love & I did some quick resarch on them, they are $400 new. I paid $60 for it probably 6 months ago & she's still driving the heck out of it.

Back
Top Bottom