• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Possible False Straw Purchase Reported

Shags

Default rank <2500 posts
Will Commit War Crimes for Scooby Snacks
38   0
Reaction score
I recently bought a few things and went in to get one transferred at a local shop. Now I had an issue occur maybe 2-3 months back where a newer employee accused me of a straw purchase. This was due to a long delay in receiving my new ID in the mail so I had a member of my household do the initial transfer as the firearm is used by all of us. The employee started on a straw purchase rant but other than that everything went smoothly. Maybe a week or two after I entered the shop and the same employee “informed“ me that the issue with the transfer had been handled.

I have not had any other transfers since then, my backgrounds always been approved within 5-10mins, and I have a spotless record. This time it’s come back as a hold instantly and the staff began acting stranger then initially for the remainder of the transaction. Before I left they informed me that after an investigation I’ll be contacted.

Could this just be a random instance or is it something I should look into? Is there a way to find out if I was falsely reported? If I was falsely reported what legal action can I take?

I recently bought a few things and went in to get one transferred at a local shop. Now I had an issue occur maybe 2-3 months back where a newer employee accused me of a straw purchase. This was due to a long delay in receiving my new ID in the mail so I had a member of my household do the initial transfer as the firearm is used by all of us. The employee started on a straw purchase rant but other than that everything went smoothly. Maybe a week or two after I entered the shop and the same employee “informed“ me that the issue with the transfer had been handled.

I have not had any other transfers since then, my backgrounds always been approved within 5-10mins, and I have a spotless record. This time it’s come back as a hold instantly and the staff began acting stranger then initially for the remainder of the transaction. Before I left they informed me that after an investigation I’ll be contacted.

Could this just be a random instance or is it something I should look into? Is there a way to find out if I was falsely reported? If I was falsely reported what legal action can I take?
Not an ffl, but if the name on the receipt/credit card didn't match the name on the 4473, I can completely see why you were accused of a straw purchase. You had someone fill out the transfer paperwork for something you bought. Looks like you couldn't pass the background check and had someone who could do the transfer. Sticky situation.

Not an ffl, but if the name on the receipt/credit card didn't match the name on the 4473, I can completely see why you were accused of a straw purchase. You had someone fill out the transfer paperwork for something you bought. Looks like you couldn't pass the background check and had someone who could do the transfer. Sticky situation.
Its a small shop and I know most of the employees. I’ve done plenty of business there, they‘ve run my background a dozen times at least in the past couple years. Didn’t have a problem until the new employee got an attitude with me during my previous purchase.

I‘m more so asking if the employee in question could have falsely reported me without the FFL owners knowledge?

Is there a way to find out without waiting to be contacted if I even am?

Back
Top Bottom