• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Post your yote hunting tricks.

What's a good inexpensive call/decoy to use?
Here's what I use with pretty good success.
$_58.JPG

Can be found for around $7.00 I painted the ball camo green. The ball splits in half. I mounted the spinning half on a metal rod about 2 feet tall. It spins around with the tail flopping around to get their attention. Really all you need. Not at home otherwise I'd post up a pic. Really very simple.

My call is a Primos Tubro Dogg. The cheapest call I ever had success with was the squeaker from a squeeze toy. Watch some calling videos and you can get pretty close to distress calls with the squeaker in your mouth. Practice.

You don't need the spinner thingy. Just tie some feathers on a string, and hang them from a tree.

Hunt the wind and preferably where they can't get behind you.

Hunt at night if you have the tools. If you hunt in the day, use the crow call. They'll follow the crows sometimes.

Hang the Fox Pro in a tree a few feet off the ground.

If they don't show up or call in about 30 minutes, then move somewhere else.

During deer season hunt the gut pile.

Here's what I use with pretty good success.
$_58.JPG

Can be found for around $7.00 I painted the ball camo green. The ball splits in half. I mounted the spinning half on a metal rod about 2 feet tall. It spins around with the tail flopping around to get their attention. Really all you need. Not at home otherwise I'd post up a pic. Really very simple.

My call is a Primos Tubro Dogg. The cheapest call I ever had success with was the squeaker from a squeeze toy. Watch some calling videos and you can get pretty close to distress calls with the squeaker in your mouth. Practice.

Like the weasel ball idea. I'll try it & the feathers on a string & see which works best.

You don't need the spinner thingy. Just tie some feathers on a string, and hang them from a tree.

Hunt the wind and preferably where they can't get behind you.

Hunt at night if you have the tools. If you hunt in the day, use the crow call. They'll follow the crows sometimes.

Hang the Fox Pro in a tree a few feet off the ground.

If they don't show up or call in about 30 minutes, then move somewhere else.

During deer season hunt the gut pile.

Did pretty
Much all that except for moving elsewhere after 30
Min.
We had them calling like mad after we were there for the first
Half hour.
There is always a chance they circled behind us and busted us.
Was thinking about using a
Live chicken.
I've got one that eats all the other chickens eggs and acts like a douche.
I actually had a notion to tie it to a tree from its leg so Mr fox can eat him but I figured I may be able to coax Wiley with it.
Of
Course I'd shoot the coyote and save the chicken for next hunt.

Did pretty
Min.
Half hour.
Live chicken.
I actually had a notion to tie it to a tree from its leg so Mr fox can eat him but I figured I may be able to coax Wiley with it.
Of
You can always use a small wire cage to keep chicken in ,that way it will last longer.

Did pretty
Min.
Half hour.
Live chicken.
Of

If I'm hunting a smaller area, I give it 30 - 45 minutes tops, and then I'm moving on to another location. In a larger area, I may only give it 15 - 20 minutes. With a distressed call, and if they're in the area, they will come to investigate fairly quickly. Switch up the calls, and don't use the same call twice. You also have to experiment with different cadences.

If you're hunting fields, try hunting the edge and force them into the field or popping out on the edge so they hopefully won't circle behind you. With the caller start out loud and then gradually lower the volume so hopefully they'll stay focused on the sound.

And yes any bait pile will work, but you'll have the best success at night, and preferably you would have some nightvision. If you're going to hunt a bait pile, and you don't have NV, then I'd pick up some cheap digital NV, like a Sightmark Photon, at a minimum. Thermal is even better, and with all the new products coming on the market this year, there are lots of deals to be had.

Question here

So what if I come across yotes in my neighborhood, can I just shoot them or do I need a hunting license. Some people are pesky around here or I wouldn't think twice about doing it

Question here

So what if I come across yotes in my neighborhood, can I just shoot them or do I need a hunting license. Some people are pesky around here or I wouldn't think twice about doing it
You're "supposed" to have a hunting license to hunt coyotes in Georgia. Now if one was attacking your pet, well...
It's also illegal to use live bait to hunt coyotes (or anything) in Georgia.

so far haven't had any luck bringing them in.

Keep hearing them close by, maybe 1/4 mile or so but no luck.

Got a fox pro but need a fluffy spinner thingy.
There aren't really any 'tricks'. They are smart. You won't fool them twice. Hunt the wind knowing they will circle and shoot fast. Decoys for yotes are "kind of" like decoys for turkeys. Some swear by them some curse them. I've never had one respond to a decoy.
Fawns are on the ground. The fawn in distress is likely to get some attention.

You're "supposed" to have a hunting license to hunt coyotes in Georgia. Now if one was attacking your pet, well...
It's also illegal to use live bait to hunt coyotes (or anything) in Georgia.
Well I also have a pew pew pew too so won't be too loud, just have to find a way to dispose of body/bodies

Back
Top Bottom