• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder availability

You cannot blame it on the retailers. There has never really been much money to be made on powders at the retail level. The price I have to pay right now to buy powder wholesale is about what I used to be able to get it for at retail. As you stated, by the time I pay hazmat and shipping then the cost to the retail customer will be 50 or more. Most local shops that sell powder have pretty much always sold it at what it cost them, just as a courtesy and to draw customers in hopes of selling them something else.
I can relate. Shipping cost from fuel hikes has got to have something to do it with it along with availability. My local source sells it at 40-42 bucks per pound witch isn't to far from where it started. Brownells wants 53 a lb. so with tax, shipping, hazmat 2lbs. of powder is 140 bucks. I mean datum! 70 green backs per lb. is a little much but if they have your favorite powder you are kinda backed into a corner. I don't blame the retailer it's all they can do is get it. The higher price starts with obtaining the basic ingredients which is subject to the increased cost from manufacturing to delivery to the local supplier.

One difference is the major retailers limit purchase amounts so more get a chance at powder (I don't disagree) but then hazmat/shipping really hurts for a few lbs of powder or 1000 primers. Once quantities more available and purchase limits lifted, that will be a big help.

I was in chucks the other day for the first time in years and the slobbering idiots packed at the counter with all their “firearm facts”bs ,the prices of merchandise, and nobody that seemed to care if I was standing there I remembered why I haven’t been in so long. I wish them the best and it seems like they will be just fine without my moneys.
I hate places like that, when there is always a know it all, that just treats u like your an idiot!

H4350 has been popping up more often for sure on the big internet sellers and saw some locally in Milledgeville for $419 for 8lb. 65 Staball may be a good alternative to H4350 and seems more available and cheaper (temp stable ball powder). I am using 65Staball for 65CM loads.

There's a little gun shoo that's kind of between two cities which are Roanoke and Bedford and it's like a 20-minute drive outside to each one so I would imagine a lot of people don't drive that far just to get down to the gun shop. The last time I went I got four powders and he had literally over 50 different kinds they're on shelves. I was amazed and I would have gotten two or three or four more pounds of it if Iwould have had the money at that particular time. I'm going back to the end at the end of the month and see what they have because I wanted some Benchmark and TAC and they had that plus a couple other I wanted. I've been really looking for the elusive XBR-8208 which really seems to be in high demand and in low availability. When I find 8208 I'm going to take a loan out against my house and get as much as I can. Not really but you know what I mean. I've got three 6.8 SPC guns and they love XBR 8208. I mean they love it!

There's a little gun shoo that's kind of between two cities which are Roanoke and Bedford and it's like a 20-minute drive outside to each one so I would imagine a lot of people don't drive that far just to get down to the gun shop. The last time I went I got four powders and he had literally over 50 different kinds they're on shelves. I was amazed and I would have gotten two or three or four more pounds of it if Iwould have had the money at that particular time. I'm going back to the end at the end of the month and see what they have because I wanted some Benchmark and TAC and they had that plus a couple other I wanted. I've been really looking for the elusive XBR-8208 which really seems to be in high demand and in low availability. When I find 8208 I'm going to take a loan out against my house and get as much as I can. Not really but you know what I mean. I've got three 6.8 SPC guns and they love XBR 8208. I mean they love it!
Here ya go!

I've got 4 jugs that I'll sail fer $500 each!

Back
Top Bottom