• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

powder coating cast bullets?

If anybody gets to Columbus or Thomaston I could give a sample. I suggest not wasting time with Harbor Freight paint, as it might discourage you. If anybody wants contact info for Smoke on castboolits forum, PM me. His powder works excellent for shake and bake method.

Just found his contact info listed on the forum, along with colors and prices:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale

I have good luck with Harbor Freight red, but it takes awhile tumbling. Any clear available? It would be cool to have some that looked like lead.

What Rosewood said. Smoke's clear sticks better than any other color when doing dry tumble. It's stupidly easy, I swirl mine 20 seconds tops. I like to wipe excessive powder from my bases, because I'm always chasing accuracy. Definitely get an oven thermometer for your toaster to verify that it's 400 degrees. A big convection toaster oven makes it really consistent and easy. Another simple tip, save some old ammo trays and use those to drop your bullets in nose down, after dry tumbling. Fill up several trays and you can pack a lot of bullets into your baking pan (I like parchment paper for my pan). Another handy tip, line your oven in firebricks to keep the temperature up, and preheat the oven while you shake your first batch. If you shake a batch while another batch is baking, you should be able to coat several hundred bullets per session.

I water drop mine right out of the oven, mostly for a nice even finish and smooth base. Once dry I run through a Lee push-through sizer. Check your Lee sizer, they're often a little out of round or undersized. This is easily remedied with a small dowel and 800 grit sandpaper, rolling thr die across your knee for a few minutes.

I personally think dumping bullets on their side is malarkey. PC liquifies and has to run down to one side. I suspect these folks don't have the marksmanship skills to realize they're producing wobbly bullets.

i.imgur.com_jfD5RYI.jpg

i.imgur.com_P1KjTNQ.jpg

They're capable of excellent accuracy. This is 25 yards; I'd bet money that I threw two of the 10 shots and the other 8 shots are what the bullet is capable of.

i.imgur.com_jqA1s3d.jpg

Don't hesitate to ask any specific questions. I encourage you to get a cheap toaster, oven thermometer, Black air soft bb's, #5 plastic container, some of Smokes powder, and just go for it.

Them some good looking bullets, lol.

I have good luck with Harbor Freight red, but it takes awhile tumbling. Any clear available? It would be cool to have some that looked like lead.
the cool thing about Smokes clear is that it's white before you bake it, so it's easy to confirm that you have good coverage, but then it turns clear when it's heated and coats the bullets. So you have clear powder coated bullets.

I went with some colors as I want it to be easy to see what bullets I'm using, and I can color code them by weights or styles.

the cool thing about Smokes clear is that it's white before you bake it, so it's easy to confirm that you have good coverage, but then it turns clear when it's heated and coats the bullets. So you have clear powder coated bullets.

I went with some colors as I want it to be easy to see what bullets I'm using, and I can color code them by weights or styles.

All powder clears are white, like that. Just be careful with some clears, they are extremely hard. I’d probably stay away from Acrylics, and stay with Polyesters. Just my 2 cents.

As far as application, some kind of fluidized bed might be an easier way.

Is there an easy way to get lube off existing bullets? I have a bunch of lubed lead bullets in different calibers. Now I'm interested in PCing them but assume with lube that's a no-go.

A above article is pretty interesting. The issue for me is its making me interested in casting and PCing calibers I didn't have any plans to do.

Is there an easy way to get lube off existing bullets? I have a bunch of lubed lead bullets in different calibers. Now I'm interested in PCing them but assume with lube that's a no-go.

A above article is pretty interesting. The issue for me is its making me interested in casting and PCing calibers I didn't have any plans to do.

Few threads about this on castboolits. General consensus is that it’s not worth the trouble. If you absolutely had to, you can boil them to melt wax, then wash them with a degreaser. It might still not fully degrease them, and it could make you disappointed in the PC process. From easiest to hardest:
1) load and shoot your lubed bullets, PC some fresh grease-free ones
2) melt your old boolits to reclaim and then PC
3)Try the above mentioned voodoo

Back
Top Bottom