• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder drop or powder dispenser??? HELP OdT

JeepAdventure247

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
234   0
Reaction score
I have been using the Lee Auto drum measure for a few years and it's basically died.

In full disclosure, I got it used in a combo of reloading stuff so I alone did not wear it out.

Should I just spend the $40 and buy a new one, or is there something totally revolutionary, mind-blowingly awesome that I just need to buy and forget about the Lee?

I basically only load 2 rounds consistent. The same exact 40sw load for my competition pistol. The same exact 75gr hpbt .223 load for my "DMR" ar15.
... But then every once in a while I do random batches of 56, 62, and 68gr .223. and batches of 115 and 124gr 9mm

The press that I'm using is a Lee 4 hole turret press and I'm pretty content with it, so pump the breaks Dillon boys. I'm not looking to entirely repurchase my reloading setup unless you've got a spare Dillon setup to let go on the cheap :D hehehe.

I'm also using Lee dies. I've been very happy with the Lee dies. Not looking to drop mega bucks and buy all new dies as well.

So, with a couple hundred to spend- tops, case activated powder measure, like the Lee or something different/better? Or is there a powder dispenser you guys have had great success with?

Have you checked with Lee to see if they will warranty the powder measure? I have great service from them on older equipment.

I guess that's something to consider. It just hadn't occurred to me for a $40 item.

I on the other hand did not have a good experience with their tech support.

I had an older O press that was slightly bent. I called them for warranty support, thinking they would send me a replacement press. I had to pay to send it back to them and they replaced all the linkage levers, well... That wasn't the issue. The O frame itself was bent/ off center of the ram. Their service did not fix it and it was just as useless as when I sent it to them and I was out $11 for shipping

I guess I have little faith in their warranty support.

If you have been happy with the powder drop and it does what you want I wouldn't change just for the sake of changing. Consistency is the key in reloading. That said if you want to change I have heard good things on the RCBS powder drop. I use my electronic powder measure when working up loads because it's easy to change the drop. Once I have the load I use my Lee drum measure for everyday loading.

If you have been happy with the powder drop and it does what you want I wouldn't change just for the sake of changing. Consistency is the key in reloading. That said if you want to change I have heard good things on the RCBS powder drop. I use my electronic powder measure when working up loads because it's easy to change the drop. Once I have the load I use my Lee drum measure for everyday loading.

Which electronic powder drop do you use

Just to throw out some options to look into. I basically use two different things to drop powders. I have a dillon so I use the Dillon powder measure for most of my bulk loads (not much help there). I also have an RCBS single stage and I typically use a Lyman 55 measure to throw loads for single stage press. I have a good electronic scale (GemPro 250, not sure if they are still made but something similar could be helpful) that I can trickle up a bit for testing loads (i.e. throw 24gr of something, then another 24 and add a few grains, throw another 24 and add more, etc). I have two beam scales and check weights so I can make sure everything matches up with each other for weights.

I have been looking at electronic scales/throwers for a while and am about to pull the trigger on the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I'm doing a bit more precision shooting and while it's not as accurate (charge wise) compared to many of the big $$$ setups out there, it seems like it's good bang for the buck and I've had good luck with a lot of FA stuff recently.

Which electronic powder drop do you use

I have a Hornady LnL it does OK but its starting to act up and when it dies I'll probably go with something different. I forgot I also have the Lee auto disk with the adjustable charge bar on my Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm & .45acp. It works great also.

Just to throw out some options to look into. I basically use two different things to drop powders. I have a dillon so I use the Dillon powder measure for most of my bulk loads (not much help there). I also have an RCBS single stage and I typically use a Lyman 55 measure to throw loads for single stage press. I have a good electronic scale (GemPro 250, not sure if they are still made but something similar could be helpful) that I can trickle up a bit for testing loads (i.e. throw 24gr of something, then another 24 and add a few grains, throw another 24 and add more, etc). I have two beam scales and check weights so I can make sure everything matches up with each other for weights.

I have been looking at electronic scales/throwers for a while and am about to pull the trigger on the Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I'm doing a bit more precision shooting and while it's not as accurate (charge wise) compared to many of the big $$$ setups out there, it seems like it's good bang for the buck and I've had good luck with a lot of FA stuff recently.

I was curious about the FA drop scale as well. I will do some research on it as well. I like the stuff they make

I was curious about the FA drop scale as well. I will do some research on it as well. I like the stuff they make
the RCBS seemed to be the best as of last year with a few basic modifications. they came out with a newer model but I think it's in the $800 range and if you are going to drop that kind of coin, step up to the A&D setup.

But for the money it seems like the FA dropper is pretty good and I'm sure folks have learned how to tweak it to make it work better.

Back
Top Bottom