• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Position Sensitivity in light revolver loads

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
A super boring topic if you aren't a reloader, I know.

I've been fooling around with light .44 Magnum loads, using Win 231 powder, and having a heck of a time getting tight groups. Full power loads all go through the same hole at 10 yards, but light loads shoot multi-inch groups at the same distance.

Anyway, I'd seen this mentioned, and sure enough, the powder position in the case makes a radical difference. With about 6.5 gr. of Win 231, and the powder at the front of the case, I got velocities as low at 659 fps. With it at the back of the case, as high as 830. That's nearly a 50% difference in muzzle energy, and very noticeable to the shooter.

This isn't hypothetical, and it's not insignificant. : )

The problem abates at around 10 grains of 231-- the case is filling up by then, and the behavior is much more consistent.

So I switched to Trail Boss. Problem solved. Though it's a lot more expensive.

Anyway, be aware of this. Charges of fast powder in the single digits (like 5.0 grains or whatever) will not behave consistently. I expect this is a problem down around 3 grains in .38/.357 also.

Trail Boss is one option as it's much "fluffier" (technical term) and fills the cases a lot more for light loads.

when I was playing around with light loads more, I also switched to Titegroup as it's supposed to be a lot more "case position insensitive" for lighter loads. But you have to pay attention, as it's easier to double charge the cases because of the small amount needed.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009411636/hodgdon-titegroup-smokeless-powder

TITEGROUP is a spherical propellant that was designed for accuracy. Because of the unique design, this powder provides flawless ignition with all types of primers including the lead-free versions. Unlike pistol powders of the past, powder position in large cases (45 Colt, 357 Magnum and others) has virtually no effect on velocity and performance. Cowboy Action, Bullseye and Combat Shooters should love this one! TITEGROUP has it all, low charge weight, clean burning, mild muzzle report and superb, uniform ballistics.

I have also switched to magnum primers, works more better.

Well, I use the Winchester ones-- allegedly work for both. But I hear you.

I haven't tried Red Dot-- I found a table of powder densities and it wasn't much different from 231-- unlike Trail Boss, which is 1/3 the density. Might still work well-- I've seen it mentioned a lot.

Will have to try Tightgroup if I move away from TB, or get tired of paying for it. That's another one I don't have on hand.

For what it's worth...I've been using Titegroup & 200 RNFP in 45 Colt for a while now. It's been a super accurate and fun round to shoot out of my Uberti Smoke Wagon.

Finally got to chrono the .44 loads with Trail Boss-- and yeah, they're light. Peak about 820 fps with a max charge of 7.3 gr. behind a 240 gr. lead bullet. That's right at .45 ACP energy-- super controllable.

So for anyone who is interested, in a .44 Mag, use Trail Boss for 600-800 fps, probably Unique from 800 to 1100, then 2400 or 296 or H110 or whatever for the full power loads. You can use Win 231 from about 925 to 1150, also. That's with a 5" barrel.

A super boring topic if you aren't a reloader, I know.

I've been fooling around with light .44 Magnum loads, using Win 231 powder, and having a heck of a time getting tight groups. Full power loads all go through the same hole at 10 yards, but light loads shoot multi-inch groups at the same distance.

Anyway, I'd seen this mentioned, and sure enough, the powder position in the case makes a radical difference. With about 6.5 gr. of Win 231, and the powder at the front of the case, I got velocities as low at 659 fps. With it at the back of the case, as high as 830. That's nearly a 50% difference in muzzle energy, and very noticeable to the shooter.

This isn't hypothetical, and it's not insignificant. : )

The problem abates at around 10 grains of 231-- the case is filling up by then, and the behavior is much more consistent.

So I switched to Trail Boss. Problem solved. Though it's a lot more expensive.

Anyway, be aware of this. Charges of fast powder in the single digits (like 5.0 grains or whatever) will not behave consistently. I expect this is a problem down around 3 grains in .38/.357 also.
1980s
Sounds like you could just load some 44 special ammo

Back
Top Bottom