• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Position Sensitivity in light revolver loads

1980s
Sounds like you could just load some 44 special ammo
Except that special brass costs several times more than Magnum, as it's not really available used, the power I'm after is way over. 44 special max loads and therefore unsafe in a .44 special gun, and special loads leave that horrid ring in all six cylinders. But thanks for the suggestion. : )

Except that special brass costs several times more than Magnum, as it's not really available used, the power I'm after is way over. 44 special max loads and therefore unsafe in a .44 special gun, and special loads leave that horrid ring in all six cylinders. But thanks for the suggestion. : )

You can down load with 2400. Or cut 44 mag cases down 1/8" and use 44 special loads I them. Can't have everything

Pretty much myth, unless you shoot heavily lubed bullets.

I've spent a lot of time cleaning out that myth, because that myth interferes with seating the full-length cartridges, and contributes to light strikes. Also interferes with ejection. Interestingly, I've had the same problem with that myth in two .357 revolvers, and two .44 Mags.

Just shooting normal hard-cast lead bullets. But it could be my choices of powder or something contributing to it. And it could be my volume of shooting-- I shoot revolvers a lot.

I've spent a lot of time cleaning out that myth, because that myth interferes with seating the full-length cartridges, and contributes to light strikes. Also interferes with ejection. Interestingly, I've had the same problem with that myth in two .357 revolvers, and two .44 Mags.

Just shooting normal hard-cast lead bullets. But it could be my choices of powder or something contributing to it. And it could be my volume of shooting-- I shoot revolvers a lot.

What is this ring you speak of? I shoot close to 1000 rounds of my reloads, 45 Colt between cleanings. I know that is sacrilege to some. When it starts to feel gritty or hard to eject cartridges is when I clean. Most of the time the cartridges fall out with the tilt of the pistol.

What is this ring you speak of? I shoot close to 1000 rounds of my reloads, 45 Colt between cleanings. I know that is sacrilege to some. When it starts to feel gritty or hard to eject cartridges is when I clean. Most of the time the cartridges fall out with the tilt of the pistol.

I believe it's as 44 spec is shorter than 44 mag using spec can leave a residue ring in the cylinder which hinders chambering the longer mag cartridge. Same with 38 spec in a 357.

I have shot thousands of .38 spec through a S&W 586, both WC and SWC and never had the problem of a ring developing.

I've shot hundreds of rounds of .44 spec and .44 mag in Dan Wesson .445 Supermag and never had a ring form.

I suppose YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom