• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Scales

BCPerry

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
24   0
Reaction score
So, I have a Lee scale that came with my press. I don't like it, period. RamRoddoc brought his by and it seemed great. Mine, however, seems to be reading nearly a half grain less. I measured some we made with his scale, where the measurements were 5.3. I measured those same bullets with my Lee and got 4.8-4.9.

So, what do you guys use and recommend. Electricnonic or not? I already know RamRoddoc's opinion, but I would like some others. I'm needing to pick one up soon.

Again, thanks guys.

sure both scales were calibrated correctly and on a level surface?

A perfectly level surface is VERY important when making measurments in 1/10th of a grain as its a VERY fine measurement.

That being said I have an Inexpensive digital reloading scale. I want to say its a Hornady but I don't remember off hand. I know it was less than $50 and always reads right on with my balance scale that came with my press, I always use it every once in a while to check the digital and make sure its working properly. Mechanical scales are much less likely to have a fault than digital.

That being said I still have a hard on for one of those RCBS $300 powder measure and scales that you just punch in the powder charge you want and it automatically feeds just the right amount of powder into the pan for you

Edited to add: I've also noticed the scales are so sensitive if the A/C is running, a fan is on in the vicinity or I'm too close to the scale even my breathing can throw the measurement off a tenth or two

Last edited:
If the error is electronic scale, both static electricity and humidity can through them off. Re calibrate the scale should correct this.

I don't think that I have ever seen a powder scale (balance beam) that did not have a calibration method of some type?
in any case I have always been a balance beam guy myself.
Plus electronic scales work off Voo-Doo and Black Magic.
The particular brand of balance beam will differ from person to person as to what they like.

So, I went back and tried again. This time, I did figure out how to zero. However, my readings are still off from when I used the RCBS 1010. Think I'm going to have to break down and buy one.

Electronic, all the way. And consider a calibration weight or two, near the weights of powder you frequently use, just as a check.

Yes, I can use the balance beam scales and used one for years. But the electronic ones are so much faster.

there are cheap scales and there are accurate scales,there are no cheap accurate scales.

the best for low cost is the gem pro 250 but it drifts a lil,needs reset often but works well. i love a very accurate force restoration for load dev, and a precision beam for production

I like electronic ones. I use a cheap Frankford Model and have never had a problem with it. I check it with calibration weights every so often and it's ALWAYS correct. I assumed I would need to get a better one by now but I don't see the need if my scale seems to be accurate all of the time. Am I missing something here??

When I first started reloading I had a no name electronic one that gave me problems. It came with my first press I picked up off here so I know the cheap scales aren't created equally.

Back
Top Bottom