• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Power Surge.....

Well.

This should be a hoot!

Just got some kind of crazy ass surge which looks to have destroyed most of my electronics and appliances. I don't understand what happened-not a single circuit breaker popped, and everything was on surge protectors, but looks like most stuff from the fridge to microwave to the DVR and a couple of TVs are trashed.

Wondering if anyone has had this happen before. Where to start? EMC or general electrician, or what?

This is gonna suck.
I had it happen. Even took out one of my AC's melted a couple of my outlets, so I felt blessed for not losing my house. Check with your insurance company, but that may be a wash... Mine was. Then call an electrician. Have them install a whole house surge protection circuit in your breaker box. It did not cost much but it is supposed to protect against this happening again.

APC brand, battery back-up, with voltage regulator, for sensitive equipment. Protects against low voltage(brown-outs), and high voltage spikes.
^^ this ^^
Also, the alarm sounding on the back-up will alert you that you've got a brown-out happening, so you can shut down other unprotected equipment.

I had electricians check out my house and they installed a lighting arrestor at my main panel and replaced all the breakers with sensitive gfci breakers which definitely are
More sensitive as I've had a couple throw from time to time in storms.
They also installed new ground rods and wires me a generator plug in but not a transfer switch so I have to pull the main myself and throw the generator breaker and whatever circuits I want to power.
I love my propane powered generator.

Back
Top Bottom