• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Practicing a Bug In"

No water means no toilet... Do you have a designated area outside for each family member ? And what about toiletries ? Wipe your butt with leaves ?
No water means no laundry... Are you going to a creek to scrub your clothes on a rock ? What will you use for soap ? Are you going to hang the laundry to dry and flag your position or wear it dry ?
What about bathing ? Where will you bath and with what soap ?

Have you practiced any of these ?

What if no water source is nearby ?

I fortified my walk-in closet to double as a gun safe. This complex is old enough to have solid wood doors even on the closets. I put a keyed outdoor-quality lock on the master bedroom closet making it 3 doors to defeat before accessing. Inside the closet a Wyze Cam focused on 3 padlocked ammo cans in case maintenance (or bad-guys) comes barging in they’re going to set off alerts if I’m not there.

Half a dozen+ weapons in the same caliber. And 1000+ rounds of said caliber. Still doesn’t seem like enough. 6 weeks of water and dry rice and various beans for at least a couple of months.
Re: your gun closet
Sheetrock walls?
Door hinges on the outside?
And a small axe may make short work of your wooden doors.

I see water being the biggest issue for most people, including myself. I have a small river about 175 yards from the house and the idea of putting that water in a toilet sounds crazy unless it's an emergency after lugging it to the house.

If it's just the power that goes out life won't be nearly as bad. My family handled it pretty well with the wood stove and cooking. But summertime would makes things more interesting to deal with.

I can't imagine what it'd be like in an apartment if I had to deal with water and cooking while trying to keep a low profile. Or even keeping the family happy for that matter.

I’ve often played out in my mind, how would an apartment dweller, like myself bug in / out. I see it involving nearby self-storage and/or forming alliances with real property owners.

I'm curious , Why would you linger in an environment with so many people getting more desperate by the minute unless you knew that the situation was temporary ? Wouldn't it be advisable to get out quick Before people get too hostile where you are AND where you are going ?
As time passes people will get more and more defensive of their resources and any resources that you may be looking for my be claimed.
As for myself I am a land owner and at first I could see welcoming a few young fighting and farming age men especially if they came with resources to feed themselves until our first harvest but after that...

I'm curious , Why would you linger in an environment with so many people getting more desperate by the minute unless you knew that the situation was temporary ? Wouldn't it be advisable to get out quick Before people get too hostile where you are AND where you are going ?
As time passes people will get more and more defensive of their resources and any resources that you may be looking for my be claimed.
As for myself I am a land owner and at first I could see welcoming a few young fighting and farming age men especially if they came with resources to feed themselves until our first harvest but after that...

In all fairness, for the people that live in an actual city they don't have this option for folks that live in Athens, Savannah, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Atlanta & surrounding cities. I'm sure it's a better opportunity out in Monroe county, but if a long term situation were to develop trekking around with a vague idea where there going can be disastrous in itself.

If a person were to plan ahead, like the folks that had posted earlier, I can see them outlasting their neighbors and having a better survival rate than people that may have maybe a weeks worth of food in their apartment. At that point it would all be who outlasts the scavengers. But that goes for both city & country folk to a point. After all, everyone who lives in the city will think they can work the land for some farmer and flood the surrounding area with mouths to feed & thieves if they can't find anyone who will take them in.

Back
Top Bottom