• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pre Ban Steyr AUG Info Needed!

xlilvi3tx

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
155   0
Reaction score
Hello ODT,
I looking to expand my preban collection and would really like a pre 89 ban Steyr AUG but need some info as it is hard to find any. I tried looking and need some expert schooling. Please no smart a$$ answers or "i can get x and x and y for that price" comments. And yes I know, I can get a current one for less than half the cost. Been to steyr-aug.com and couldn't find answers I'm looking for. I am here for information and any useful info would greatly be appreciated! Questions I have are:

1. Whats the difference in preban and current production ones?
2. What is "900 series?" 901? 902? etc.
3. Things to looks for to spot fakes
4. Things to look for as far as wear and tear?
5. Pre ban importers?

Basically ANY useful info. I got so much more questions then just these but I guess lets start there. Thank you!

Any reason for pre 89 vs pre 94?

Also, I'm almost certain that the only ones that fit your criteria will all be A1 versions. If you definitely want a pre 89, then we will have to find out the serial number cutoff.

ALABAMA, is where the US,factory is that's where you may start your quest for your information quest. Think its Huntsville, however not sure, you can Call DEAD CENTER GUNS AND RANGE, IN BUFORD, ask for VAN he's the man on STEYR AUGS...
770-614-0562 DEAD CENTER (VAN)...

As far as i know, the pre 89 is the actually "scary rifle" and post 89 have a retard stock and no threaded barrel. So thats why, unless I am wrong?

The non-threaded ones with the weird stock is the USR. There were only about 3000 imported so they're actually kind of rare. Lol.

All the new ones have threaded barrels and normal stocks. You can get them with optics or rails. They will be cheaper than the preban ones, the prebans are super cool and have a bit of collector value.

Here are 2 recent ones I had. As you can see, they have normal stocks and threaded barrels with flash hiders. The top pic was a brand new one I bought last year and the bottom one I bought brand new in 2012.

20170210_202714.jpg
IMG_1351_2.JPG

A few things that will help:
Get on Bullpup Forum. There is a good and active Steyr AUG community there. There are also A1s that come up for sale in the threads. There is one on right now.

Pete Athens of Pjs-steyraug.com in Charlotte NC is a great contact for info, parts, and collector gun purchases.

All AUGs have a last round bolt hold open. The A1, A2, and USR, and NATO stock models do not have a bolt release (like an AR). You run them more like a HK roller lock gun (MP5, G3, HK91 etc.) Check out my youtube channel to see the different types (bcmarshall3285) and tips on shooting AUG.

Almost all the A1s have 1.5x Swarovski optics. They will either have the first gen "donut of death" circle reticle or the "donut and dot" pattern. Very few SR (special receiver) railed models came in. All of the original A1s that were green came with 20" barrels. Some black stocks "police models" came with 16". All have CHF barrels that will last longer than we will. The current production guns A3/M1 use a CHF barrel made by FN and a reciever made by VTLOR. Sabre Defense made A3 recievers and barrels for a while before they got in trouble for other stuff.

The US made ones have a bunch of Austrian parts and are still to the high level of quality Steyr Austria demands. They are assembled at Steyr USA facility in Bessemer AL (they have a public shoot coming up this weekend in AL, check their Facebook page). Most A1s will have an Interarms or GSI (Guns South) import stamp. GSI became Steyr USA out of the old HK building in Trussville Alabama. They moved to a bigger place in Bessemer about 2 years ago (I am friends with the president and owner of the company).

The 900 etc series are just serial number prefixes. Some people value the older ones. The reciever, bolt, and barrel all should have matching numbers if you are payimg a collector gun price.

As far as wear marks, if the gun was shot without tape on the stock there will be little marks behind the ejection port caused by spinning brass. The gas piston may show scoring on the head and o-rimg wear from prolonged use, but this is nothing to fear. A1s use a different charging handle and forward assist than later models, so there may be noticeable wear in the charging handle groove to the reciever paint. The A1, A2, and USR lacked a firing pin retaining system that newer models have (and can be replaced).

There will be a 40th anniversary STG77 released this summer (only 400 units) that will very closely replicate the A1 (it is built on the M1 reciever, but otherwise is a pretty exact replica).

If you want to Pm me we can talk on the phone too.

The NATO stocks do have last round bolt hold open too, just not release button. You have to use a trigger pack that has the longer hook to engage AR mags. They come that way new, or if you buy the stock separately you just need to mod your trigger pack or have a NATO spare pack. It will not work if you put in a regular AUG hammer pack with the short one that engages the last round hold for AUG mags.

A bit of a hijack/aside to the OP, but I prefer the 42 round factory AUG mags to AR mags. Balances the AUG nicely and who needs to reload when you have that much ammo on board?! Some folks prefer the NATO stock with AR mags because they have a bunch already, but I usually find it funny that those same folks also have an AK, or a Mini-14 or whatever and don't complain that those mags aren't AR compatible. I have Glocks and 1911s and HPs and I'm not fussy that those mags aren't compatible with each other.!

The factory AUG mag has two points of contact with the stock, the AR/NATO stocks only have one point of lock. This does allow NATO stock users to either push the button on the left side of the stock above the mag or the release button behind the mag on the bottom of the stock to get mags out. You can see that in my reloading tips videos.

Back
Top Bottom