• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision loading question

Afternoon gentlemen
Ive loaded plenty of 223 and 9mm rounds, and wanting to load some precision loads for my 30/06. I’ve done the measuring and have seating depth and OAL. I feel like this is a dumb question but if I try fire forming cases I don’t run them thru my sizing die, correct?

Thanks in advance fellas
Yup as said above. If the same rifle get a neck sizing die and neck size only.

I buy cheap factory ammo with brass I like and shoot the cheap stuff to fire form the cases to my chamber then neck size only. Well, I used to I haven't reloaded rifle in 22 years.

The way I understand it neck sizing only also helps with case head separation from loading too many times.

Rusty, made a good point. If you’re loading for the same rifle… just bump the shoulder (reducing the headspace) back about .003”. In many cases the headspace will still be much longer than the headspace of a factory loaded round. But will fit your chamber better. For a bolt gun you can bump it less. Your accuracy will improve from doing that. Then fire groups at different OALs to compare accuracy.

You can neck size only with a full length sizing die by just not running the sizing die all the way. Stop it about a 1/16" short of bottom. Wallacem

Back
Top Bottom