• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision Long Range Reloaders

Post up that score sheet and let's see where everyone is on it....

I've never said I'm the best shooter in the world... And I honestly don't shoot PRS matches that often. I consider hard rock my home match. If you've never shot it you should try it.

No you didn't say you were the best shooter but you did say

You folks tuning your hand loads at 100 yards are doing it wrong.

Seemed relevant to the original topic of the thread anyway.

How much time are you spending at the bench prepping and assembling precision rifle ammo.
Does your practices and techniques yield ammo that shoots to your expectations.
Am i the only on here that thinks folks who judge the accuracy of ones ammo and rifle by groups shot at 100 yards
is some weak ass kung-fu?

going back to the origional question.

i spent ALOT of unnecessary $ running match prepped cartridges/calibers during practice drills.

the kyl rack below was shot at 478 yds with a 223 useing mixed headstamp/yr lake city. its ONLY prep was a chamfer deburr in a Giraud and a run through a Giraud annealer,nothing else.rounds were loaded on and powder was dropped with a dillion 550

you have to look at a guns accuracy as a two part process.
1. long range/ES tune comes first. when you get a single digit es on your powder charge you may and prob will still be loose short at 100. that brings the load dev at short range
2. the second part is tightening the gun up short. by adj OAL.

its two seperate processes. that is where all these hypo. come from. people see it but dont always understand or track whats going on. you hear "my gun shoots great short but i got a ton of verticle,or i cant make consistent hits on my long targets" ore vice versa good long crap short.

the gun used above i actually didnt even do any short work with bc i never shoot it under 200 yds. i rough zerod it one time about 3700 rds ago and drove on.

cannot stress annealing,propper neck tension and es tune enough.

i still do all the extra stuff for match ammo just to take the ammo and any doubt out of my mind.

i can load my trainer rounds for around $0.20 a rd. and loading them on the 550 i can do 150 rds in around 15-25 min depending on if im tryin to hurry or not. i train more bc i dont dread the loading or the cost. keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom