• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision Long Range Reloaders

Each long range discipline has a unique set of accuracy requirements. I'm more interested in PRS so .5 is good enough for me. I use lapua cases, anneal ever 3 firings and try to be as consistent as possible in seating, charging, priming etc. I don't spend a god awful amount of time loading.

If I went to f class maybe I would weight sort brass and bullets. Uniform primer pockets and debur flash holes.

Then those BR voodoo folks...

So you think because your gun shoots .75 MOA at 100 yards that it will do that at 600 yards?

That's cute.
Who peed in your cornflakes? Accuracy testing at 100 yards is typical because there is much less environmental effect on group size. If you want to practice doping the wind, that's great, but if you are trying to work up an accurate load for your rifle, stick to 100 yards. The only real issue that comes into play after that is vertical stringing if you have inconsistent MV, but that can also be checked at 100 yards. On many occasions I have taken a load worked up at 100 yards, done the calculations and been very close to on at 500 and 600 yards without even checking come ups at closer ranges. And yes, maintaining or even improving on the MOA group size at the greater distances.

If you can't do this, well, see if you can find someone that will help you out.

Using a Forester Co-Ax and Readding S-type neck bushing dies mostly...

FYI, been in the long range game since 2002, shoot shoot 1000 yard practical matches. My home range has AR500 out to 1200.

Each long range discipline has a unique set of accuracy requirements. I'm more interested in PRS so .5 is good enough for me. I use lapua cases, anneal ever 3 firings and try to be as consistent as possible in seating, charging, priming etc. I don't spend a god awful amount of time loading.

If I went to f class maybe I would weight sort brass and bullets. Uniform primer pockets and debur flash holes.

Then those BR voodoo folks...

Best answer I've heard so far...

Who peed in your cornflakes? Accuracy testing at 100 yards is typical because there is much less environmental effect on group size. If you want to practice doping the wind, that's great, but if you are trying to work up an accurate load for your rifle, stick to 100 yards. The only real issue that comes into play after that is vertical stringing if you have inconsistent MV, but that can also be checked at 100 yards. On many occasions I have taken a load worked up at 100 yards, done the calculations and been very close to on at 500 and 600 yards without even checking come ups at closer ranges. And yes, maintaining or even improving on the MOA group size at the greater distances.

If you can't do this, well, see if you can find someone that will help you out.

Let's say your gun shoots .5" of vertical spread at 100 yards but shoots 10" of verticals spread at 600 yards...

You folks tuning your hand loads at 100 yards are doing it wrong.

If your gun shoots .5 MOA at distance who cares how it shoots at 100 yards.

I've got a 308 that only shoots 1" at 100 but it also shoots 1" at 400.

Some folks perscribed to the theory that bullets go to sleep at longer ranges and tighten up groupings. I've seen compelling theories and videos as to what's happening.

I've never had a gun shoot better at range than 100 but it doesn't mean they don't exist. If you want to go long range it's probably a good idea to do some testing at range before you show up to a match. 100 yds doesn't guarentee anything at 1000.

Back
Top Bottom