• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision Long Range Reloaders

Let's say your gun shoots .5" of vertical spread at 100 yards but shoots 10" of verticals spread at 600 yards...

You folks tuning your hand loads at 100 yards are doing it wrong.

This isn't entirely true. If you're shooting a short range gun (6mmPPC) than tuning at shorter ranges kind of makes sense.

Let's say your gun shoots .5" of vertical spread at 100 yards but shoots 10" of verticals spread at 600 yards...

You folks tuning your hand loads at 100 yards are doing it wrong.
Then you have problems with consistent MV. Fix that and the vertical stringing goes away. There is simply to much environmental variation to effectively work up a load at 600 yards. Of course, you shoot at long range after you have worked up the load to make sure there are no issues, but to start accuracy development there is a waste of time.

That's what I'm talking about, (assuming your gun shoots equally tight at distance)
Tell us a little about your reloading techniques Freedom.
All I reload is .223 and some .308, and I shoot irons, but my groups are consistent to 600 yards. Ill uniform flash holes, sort brass, and trim cases, but don't do much beyond the basics because I'm not a bench rest shooter. I'm interested in being able to shoot a 2 or 4 legged animal as far as I can see. I've seen loads that stabilize at a certain distance and hold a relatively tighter group at further distances, but I've never seen one that shoots 1" at 100 and goes to **** with a 10" group at 400.

If your gun shoots .5 MOA at distance who cares how it shoots at 100 yards.

I've got a 308 that only shoots 1" at 100 but it also shoots 1" at 400.

Im gonna need to see this. I can supply the range if need. When can you make it happen?

CBeck CBeck you wanna come?

What you got against Benchrest shooters? :D

It's the most unrealistic of all the shooting sports. I judge someone's abilities by what they can do while holding the rifle, not what their 29lb rifle can do when they feather it's 3oz trigger as its fastened to a concrete bench as securely as some rule book allows.

It's the most unrealistic of all the shooting sports. I judge someone's abilities by what they can do while holding the rifle, not what their 29lb rifle can do when they feather it's 3oz trigger as its fastened to a concrete bench as securely as some rule book allows.

HEY NOW, my trigger is only 4 ounces over 4 ounces and my rifle only weights in at 16.5 pounds. LoL
I love me some 2 stage triggers and fat 26" barrels

Back
Top Bottom