• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision Long Range Reloaders

Wow, this thread is funny.

For the record a rifle CAN shoot 1 inch at 100 and shoot 1 inch at 400, 338s and 300win mags do it all the time.

There is nothing wrong with doing load development at 100 yards I haven't been in the Long range comp since 2002 but I was taught by shooters who have more National Records than they know what to do with.

I used to shoot Hard Rock yes it can be challenging but I shoot PRS because I want more action. Once I get .3" or better groups I stop. my load development usually only takes 10 rounds. 5 to get a node, and then 5 to verify the group size. so if you are spending more time than that YOU are doing it wrong.

Exactly! There are thousands of 1/4 minute rifles floating around. Not so many 1/4 minute shooters. Again, im not saying it can't be done. I would love to see it with a .308 though.

If your gun shoots .5 MOA at distance who cares how it shoots at 100 yards.

I've got a 308 that only shoots 1" at 100 but it also shoots 1" at 400.

Then you are doing something wrong at 100. You hear this story all the time, but what you describe is physically impossible. Bullets don't magically "remember" to wander back to the correct trajectory after some time.

I would suspect you aren't properly dealing with parallax at 100, or are focusing more on hold and trigger control at 400. Figure that out and you'll be shooting a .25" group at 100! I'd say that's worth the effort.

Some folks perscribed to the theory that bullets go to sleep at longer ranges and tighten up groupings. I've seen compelling theories and videos as to what's happening.

I've never had a gun shoot better at range than 100 but it doesn't mean they don't exist. If you want to go long range it's probably a good idea to do some testing at range before you show up to a match. 100 yds doesn't guarentee anything at 1000.

Yes-- they don't exist. It's impossible. Observer error, parallax error, better trigger control when shooting long range etc. are the explanations. Either that or a leprechaun is magically guiding the bullets.

They don't magically remember to wander back but some do stabilize better at distance. haven't seen it with a 308 but like I said win mags and 338 do it all the time.

Then you are doing something wrong at 100. You hear this story all the time, but what you describe is physically impossible. Bullets don't magically "remember" to wander back to the correct trajectory after some time.

I would suspect you aren't properly dealing with parallax at 100, or are focusing more on hold and trigger control at 400. Figure that out and you'll be shooting a .25" group at 100! I'd say that's worth the effort.

Quite honestly you may be right. I do put more effort into shooting at longer distances now that you mention it... But a 208 out of a 308 moving that slow in a 10 twist does take some time to settle in flight.

What's your name REDX.

You should come back out sometime. You hear they split up the 308 class into 2 classes, with 308's and 30-06's together, and a deviation class for all the .473 trick cartridges, 6.5 creed 260's ect don't shoot against 308's any more.

btw I'll bring my AR10 out for a challenge. it shoots .4s all day long with my 130 accubond hunting load. Took it up to Woody's Prs match and ran a stage with it after the match was over and actually did better than with my bolt gun.

Every body has their own techniques and disciplines, lets not bash each other. the long range crowd is a small crowd and we should be their to help each other and bring others into the mix. Their are reloading techniques that I did for Hardrock that I wouldn't waste my time with for a PRS match. Heck there are probably a few steps in reloading for a PRS match that I can leave out.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160205_be5a9c8b6380cc7e3c3e9b801e2361be.jpg

Thomas
I used to come down there with Ed, Brian and Jeff. It taught me a lot about reading the wind. I would come back out but I got too much time dedicated to the PRS series, two matches every month for the next tree months. Plus I hated driving all that way just to shoot 20 rounds at the end of the day because I had a brake. Tell Huskey I said hi.

Thomas
I used to come down there with Ed, Brian and Jeff. It taught me a lot about reading the wind. I would come back out but I got too much time dedicated to the PRS series, two matches every month for the next tree months. Plus I hated driving all that way just to shoot 20 rounds at the end of the day because I had a brake. Tell Huskey I said hi.

Will do... Yea no worries man. Glad to hear your shooting PRS. Yea low round count. I shoot in 3 of the 4 classes now. 308, 6mmCM and 300wm

Back
Top Bottom